Augmenting the stash: Pesto etc.

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
ForgeCorvus

Re: Augmenting the stash: Pesto etc.

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Back somewhere near topic.
We don't eat a lot of pasta, what other ways are to to eat pesto (if any)?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I had a bit of bad luck with evaporated milk - cans leaked ( well past BB date) had similar issues with tinned fruit and tomato puree, lots of stuff is sort of off limits as a diabetic now.
Aldi and Lidl do cheap and reasonable jars of pesto, asides from a quick google I'd say buy some and try it as is perhaps on a cracker, you'd soon imagine things you could pimp up from there :) and while we're on that subject curry pastes may be worth a go.

I just had myself thinking slightly outside the box, jar or can :lol: How about a good look around and Asian supermarket, there's some real variety there in cans and jars https://www.wingyip.com/rolin-vegetaria ... -283g.html I go to the one in town, it's bewildering but if we're talking augmenting the stash with flavours, dried, tinned, or jarred they are in a different league than Tesco etc, and just to give a recent example i get 500ml bottles of dark soy sauce £1.99 at Tesco - £1.70 at the Asian supermarket- every little helps ;)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:18 pm Back somewhere near topic.
We don't eat a lot of pasta, what other ways are to to eat pesto (if any)?
I don't see why you couldn't put it with anything that's perhapsa tad bland , rice or potatoes for instance. Might even go well on top of pizza . I suppose it all comes down to whether one likes pesto or not , put a lot into anything and it will taste of pesto.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I tried to get my mum to use pasta, but she only ever tried it on a cracker, and loathed it. Then my brother simply gave it to her, using it in a tomato sauce he'd made, and she loved it. She lost no time in telling me, either! Moral: don't assume it tastes the same in the two situations :)
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Think that's like a lot of things if one flavour overpowers everything else. Your mom's pesto and crackers was probably more pesto than cracker but mixed in with other stuff tends to enhance a dish. My wife doesn't like marmite on toast but when I put a bit in the gravy she liked the gravy. I'm pretty much the same with celery. On it's own I can't stand it but if it's used in a dish such as Cajun food ( one of the holy trinity) I'll wolf it down.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:17 pm Pesto is my latest next big thing
DAMMIT!
I had opened 2 jars of pesto on 13 and 15 May: 1 red, 1 Green
In just 13 days, both had LOTS of visible mould growing on the top and inside the lids. I was gobsmacked!

I'm not one for putting opened jars in the fridge, but I never expected such quick decay. I expected the olive oil to keep it ok, but nope.
It had probably alread got mould on after a week, but i just didn't notice.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 10:52 am
DAMMIT!
In just 13 days, both had LOTS of visible mould growing on the top and inside the lids. I was gobsmacked!

I'm not one for putting opened jars in the fridge, but I never expected such quick decay. I expected the olive oil to keep it ok, but nope.
And they say men don't read instructions :lol: My wife had a bad case of food poisoning pushing luck with mayo once, me - I ate a slice of raw gammon thinking it was thick ham trim, I was fine.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Plymtom wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 4:28 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 10:52 am
DAMMIT!

And they say men don't read instructions :lol: My wife had a bad case of food poisoning pushing luck with mayo once, me - I ate a slice of raw gammon thinking it was thick ham trim, I was fine.
Food safety hat on: mayo,unrefrigerated,is a Listeria timebomb.Raw meat however, especially salted meat,will NOT harm you.Bacteria lives on the surface of carcass meat ( minced is a whole other nightmare), which is why you can eat it rare.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I always put pesto in the fridge - the greenery isn't covered by oil, so it doesn't act as a preservative enough to keep out the bacteria, I thought.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Exactly,Arzosah. High acid( pickles), High sugar ( preserves) are shelf stable at ambient temperature,as the storage medium does not allow bacterial growth.Saying that though,I do put pickled beetroot in the fridge once opened,as it stops oxidisation and the beetroot turning brown,yuk! Must buy smaller jars.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.