Allotments, where to start ?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
korolev

Allotments, where to start ?

Post by korolev » Wed May 01, 2019 7:44 am

I found out yesterday that there's the possibility of getting an allotment near me. With my pending early retirement (and resultant reduction in income) I might take it on and grow myself some fruit and veg.
The upside is that my late mum had one for years and could grow anything. The downside is that I never really listened to her when she told me about it, being far more interested in music and football.

So, how easy is it to get started and get growing ? I'd likely be getting it in the late summer so presume it's preparation through the winter and start planting in the spring ?

Any advice appreciated

featherstick

Re: Allotments, where to start ?

Post by featherstick » Wed May 01, 2019 12:03 pm

Get yourself a copy of John Harrison's Veg Growing Month by Month (adapt for location though) and Hessayon's Veg Expert - there are loads of good books about and I have many of them but these two are the best.

Talk to your lottie neighbours about what does well and doesn't. Some will be stand-offish as they see plenty of newbies come and go, but work on the friendly ones.

Find out what type of soil you've got as this makes a huge difference.

And grow what you eat. I've met many ppl who say "oh yeah, this grows really well for me so I put it in every year but we don't really like it...."

Not sure you'll save much money though, but it's a nice hobby.