Rotating emergency food stocks

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
nightowl

Rotating emergency food stocks

Post by nightowl »

Is it as simple as each time you buy a couple of tins of beans you put them in your emergency store and take a couple out from there and put them in your kitchen cupboard or do people operate different systems?
jansman

Re: Rotating emergency food stocks

Post by jansman »

FIFO...First In First Out.Nuff said.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:47 pm FIFO...First In First Out.Nuff said.
FIFO is an ideal, but if your stock is pretty massive and growing... and your User Id is Jenny and your stash is hard to access, then shunt the bulk of the stash into a one way store and leave it there to decay slowly till tshtf.
Rotate stuff with short shelf life
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:00 pm
FIFO is an ideal, but if your stock is pretty massive and growing... and your User Id is Jenny and your stash is hard to access, then shunt the bulk of the stash into a one way store and leave it there to decay slowly till tshtf.
I work in the meat industry,and we deal with huge quantities of stock.It HAS to be FIFO,or we lose money/ get prosecuted/ get a bollo##ing off the gaffer! :lol: That spills over into my life.I too,have a stockpile of food ,fuel,water and equipment that makes my outbuildings look like a survivalist supermarket.We have a walk- in pantry which holds a huge amount of gear.Then there are two outbuildings.Each feeds the other,as stock is used.The building farthest away is where new stock goes in.It only takes a quarter hour management per week.

How you manage your stock will be your way,of course,but managed properly it must be.No excuses.To put it in context,how would you react if the food you purchased was all close to/ off date? Your stock should be managed as well as the place you buy it from.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:00 pm
I'm more down your route, some things are difficult to rotate properly because of where they're stored but they tend to be tins or packets of pasta etc that have a long life anyway. Fresh is managed a lot better and I do struggle with the 6-10 litres of UHT milk I like to keep, we're not big users although I plan on being better about this.
jansman

Post by jansman »

No excuses.Wasted food is wasted money.My wife and I were brought up poor.Born in the sixties we saw tough times.My wife particularly,hates wasted food.In fact it upsets her if an egg from one of our fowls gets broken. :cry: I really mean that.

Whatever food you have should be eaten or donated whilst still legally viable.

Robert Frost.

Me.
peejay

Post by peejay »

I had a tidy at the weekend & pulled out a 6-pack of UHT that I already knew would be out of date but hadn't got around to shifting (we don't really use it but I'd rather have some & chuck it when out of date than get caught short, even though I have a bit of powdered as well.

I think I'll open the first bottle (to dispose of) outside as I'm not sure what 6 months past UHT milk is likely to smell like, though if it smells ok I might have a teeny taste of it just as an education...
jansman

Post by jansman »

Would you set light to ten pound notes? That is the same as wasting food.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:59 pm No excuses.Wasted food is wasted money.My wife and I were brought up poor.Born in the sixties we saw tough times.My wife particularly,hates wasted food.In fact it upsets her if an egg from one of our fowls gets broken. :cry: I really mean that.

Whatever food you have should be eaten or donated whilst still legally viable.
I'm a decadent swine. :lol:
peejay wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:07 pm I had a tidy at the weekend & pulled out a 6-pack of UHT that I already knew would be out of date but hadn't got around to shifting (we don't really use it but I'd rather have some & chuck it when out of date than get caught short, even though I have a bit of powdered as well.

I think I'll open the first bottle (to dispose of) outside as I'm not sure what 6 months past UHT milk is likely to smell like, though if it smells ok I might have a teeny taste of it just as an education...
I try and roll it by buying a litre or two every couple months.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I am sure that I will say it yet again,but why buy stuff you don't use? It just proves how cushy this country is.If I were to chuck a tenner's worth of grub out,it would hurt because it takes me an hour's graft to earn it! Wasted food,wasted money,wasted hour of life!

A while back there was a discussion centred around Sadiq Kahn deciding to ban woodstoves in London,and it sort of turned into an eco- guilt-trip- I-am - greener-than -yo sort of thing. Very commendable. Have,a look at this:

https://friendsoftheearth.uk/food-waste

Robert Frost.

Me.