Best cooking system for SHTF situation

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
nightowl

Best cooking system for SHTF situation

Post by nightowl »

I obviously know how to start a fire for cooking purposes but there might be occasions when you need to use a camping type stove. I've got an old meths Trangia and a small gas stove. Which cooking system would you have as a backup in a SHTF situation and why?
Jamesey1981

Re: Best cooking system for SHTF situation

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I have pretty much everything because I'm obsessed with stoves and cooksets.

Which one I pick depends on when I'm doing, I have ultralight gas stoves that I use for hiking, various meths stoves that I'll also use for hiking and also for a quick brew up if I'm only out for a day. A wood gas stove, various sizes of folding hobo stove, various hexamine stoves, even one of the Swiss volcano stoves in my car.

If it's the end of the world then I'd be using one that runs on wood, probably the wood gas one. Gas/meths/white gas/hexi stoves are great until you run out of fuel.
Wood is renewable and the wood gas stoves are efficient so they use less wood and they produce a lot less smoke because of the secondary combustion. They're light too, just a little bit bulky.

Failing that it will be one of the smaller folding hobo stoves, they'll run on hexi and hold a trangia until you run out of fuel and then you can use twigs, bit of a pain to keep them going though, they need constant attention.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

SHTF is a very broad reason, climate, where and what the S is and for how long.....

Jamesey has pretty much nailed it, I'm a fellow stove tart, got all sorts and for short term the gas/meths is great, you get more control (particularly with gas) and they're relatively compact systems. The gassifiers are great if you have access to wood (wet wood does make a LOT of smoke). The Coleman dual fuel's are also good and if you're envisioning a 'Walking dead' type thing with abandoned cars, they can run on petrol which might be handy. Chaffing gel is very simple to use. If you've settled somewhere with access to wood/coal then you can build a stove or even an oven with bricks/clay etc...
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

I have all the 'ingredients' to make a small Rocket Stove. It will be my go-to solution after the propane barbecue gas runs out and after my mini gas canisters are empty. I will also probably build a bigger breezeblock one in the back garden. Always assuming mains gas and electric are off-line and I'm bugging in long term. I haven't constructed mine yet. Maybe a project to 'speriment on, though I currently begrudge chopping up my nice 5l can purchased on amazon.Image
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

You can also make a tandoor oven out of plant pots if you don't want to slum it and absolutely will not compromise on curry night.....

ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Short term, Home : Powercuts etc
Bistro stove (have bought a few for elderly friends and family), they're not 'scary' as they look like 'proper' gas ring and you can use normal kitchen pans on them.

Short term, Out: Days/weekends travelling
Gas canister stove (I have a range of them using pretty much all the can types available in the UK)
Alky burner, mine are made from pop cans therefore weigh nearly nothing and cost less.

Short term Out: In car
Peak One multi, runs on paraffin, Coleman fuel or unleaded petrol

Long term Home:
Rocket stove, got plans but not been able to build one yet
Wood fired oven, again awaiting permission

Long term Out:
Hobo, easy to make
Gasifier,
I have both as bushcrafting kit
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:27 pm Short term, Home : Powercuts etc
Bistro stove (have bought a few for elderly friends and family), they're not 'scary' as they look like 'proper' gas ring and you can use normal kitchen pans on them.

Short term, Out: Days/weekends travelling
Gas canister stove (I have a range of them using pretty much all the can types available in the UK)
Alky burner, mine are made from pop cans therefore weigh nearly nothing and cost less.

Short term Out: In car
Peak One multi, runs on paraffin, Coleman fuel or unleaded petrol

Long term Home:
Rocket stove, got plans but not been able to build one yet
Wood fired oven, again awaiting permission

Long term Out:
Hobo, easy to make
Gasifier,
I have both as bushcrafting kit
I'm the same, keep 2 in the house, 1 at the allotment and gifted one to my mum for emergencies. Broke one out the other week as we had a gas issue (sorted that night thankfully). Not brilliant in inclement weather but that's not why I have them, they boil a couple of cups worth of water as quick as kitchen hob when they're sheltered. Have used them when camping with the missus and again, in ok weather they're fine but even if they were less bulky I wouldn't be taking them up the hills, they're affected by wind but aren't we all ;).
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I've got a selection based on if shtf I could make do with whatever I could get hold of . Be it bistro cartridges, self piercing, camping Gaz easi click, en 417 screw. Coleman fuel/ petrol plus a selection of regulators for butane / propane for various LPG brands

I've also got some adapters although some are not clever...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Butane-Gas-A ... nav=SEARCH
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine