Storage in the loft on a small rented flat?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
prepfungus

Storage in the loft on a small rented flat?

Post by prepfungus »

Me and my partner have a 2 year old, trying for another soon too, we live in a two bedroom little flat and it is 2nd floor so we are the top floor of 3 flats.
We have a loft that goes over our whole flat and then the staircase bit outside our door too, so it's a really big loft.

However, the loft is just thin beams and insulation.. It is a relatively new build and I haven't been here long so I'd hate to break through the ceiling trying to put some cans up there but I just dont have the space in the flat anymore.

I have managed to put a few skateboard decks down on top of insulation and there is a baby bath up there that I have filled with tins, but I can't step on the beams to get any further into the loft.

I know it is hard to explain by typing so maybe i will take some picture, but if anybody can suggest any ideas on how i could put something on the beams to walk around up there??

Thank you!
Prepping_Al

Re: Storage in the loft on a small rented flat?

Post by Prepping_Al »

If it's rented I would check with the landlord/lease to make sure you have permission to use the loft as the lease I used (as a letting agent) stated no access or use of the loft. Also be aware it maybe a communal area that the landlord doesn't own separately and only to be used for repairs of the roof hence the basic joists.

Now saying that I am slowly flooring our loft as and when I can be arsed, I'm using a leg that slots over the joist and then loft flooring boards on top. This lifts the new floor above the insulation. I bought it in b&q and works well enough for me. But at the minimum I would say a few planks to spread the load over the joists.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Another consideration when using a loft for food storage, even though it is tinned, is the huge temperature fluctuation up there. Boiling in Summer, freezing in Winter. That does not do any form of food any good in the long run.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
piglet

Post by piglet »

Prepping_Al wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:57 pm If it's rented I would check with the landlord/lease to make sure you have permission to use the loft as the lease I used (as a letting agent) stated no access or use of the loft. Also be aware it maybe a communal area that the landlord doesn't own separately and only to be used for repairs of the roof hence the basic joists.
This is correct, the Loft will technically be a communal area for maintenance either owned by a sole Freeholder or shared Freeholders. It is not for the use of the top flat residents of a sole Leaseholder to that apartment
The Freeholders have the right to access the loft, via the top flat,if access is designed that way, sometimes just for inspection purposes.

Also, unless the property is almost exclusively owner occupier, the building will almost certainly be covered by a HMO Licence which may prohibit any use that could put any or all parts of the building at risk through misuse under the terms of said licence.

Top flats are often favoured by certain people who like to use the attic space for … lets just say...illegal purposes, and therefore may well attract regular inspections.
And even if they don't get regular inspections, access will be required if there is any problems with the roof.

The Leaseholder/Landlord of the top apartment should be aware of all this and have advised either the tenant themselves, or instructed the rental agency to inform the tenant.

I know this, because I am the Freeholder of such a building.
ain't settlin'
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

I’d crack on and use it irrespective.

If the only access to the loft is through your flat then you have the right to deny entry to the landlord. Where you are obliged to give access for inspections, then these have to be either by mutual agreement or with adequate notice.

Worst case, if you can’t deflect the attention and you think the loft will also be inspected:
- put a lock on the hatch, say it’s the landlord’s, and by the time the agent comes back you can clear it
- if that troubles you, agree a time for the inspection and shift stuff out into best piles in your own space beforehand so there is no issue

Have no concerns about piles of cans or supplies in your front room. It is none of the landlord’s or the agent’s damn business what you do with the flat. OpSec aside, just brass it out. ‘I like beans and pasta - what’s the problem?’

If others have independent access to the loft then you probably shouldn’t have lots of stuff stored in there.
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

Oh.. and in terms of storage up there, then lay some chipboard across the rafters and crack on. A few quid from Homebase. It will buckle in a couple of years but, whatever, replace it when needed.

There is a theoretical limit to how much weight a loft can bear but if you imagine 5 people standing on a plank of wood and project that into the hundreds of cans that would translate to, it is pretty tricky to reasonably expect a structural collapse. The exception to this would be storing water - it is quite heavy so spread that around a bit.

You describe the loft as quite big so I really wouldn’t worry.

Prep. Prep well. And worry less.