Stashing and Using Jackfruit

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jennyjj01

Stashing and Using Jackfruit

Post by jennyjj01 »

I keep seeing this new wonderfood, Green Jackfruit, on Telly and 'tinternet. had not heard of it till this year.
And today it was reduced to £1 in Sainsbubs, so I bought a tin, in water. Seems a promising, reasonable value long term meat (and pulse) substitute.

I'm thinking of doing a three way experiment of some sort of pasta sauce with 1) Jackfruit. 2) Soya Chunks and 3) Chickpeas & Beans.

Before I go all 'mad scientist chef nutter' Can anyone give me an opinion of how to cook it so it takes on a sauce flavour and fits in with a simple sauce?

Thanks.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Deeps

Re: Stashing and Using Jackfruit

Post by Deeps »

and now I've heard of it.... Look forward to your results.
jennyjj01

Re: Stashing and Using Jackfruit

Post by jennyjj01 »

Deeps wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:42 pm and now I've heard of it.... Look forward to your results.
Well, A very quick google tells me it can pretend to be pulled pork or it can sneak into a super simple bolognese...

https://theplantpoweredpt.com/jackfruit-bolognese/

So, that's what I'm going for.
Version 1. Jackfruit
Version 2. Dried Soya Mince
Version 3. Dried Soya Chunks
Version 4. Chickpeas and Kidney beans

I'll be using minimal other stockpile ingredients and will knock out and sample the recipes tomorrow.

Off to research whether i should try to brown those non-meat meats
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong