Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Yorkshire Andy

Re: rats and chickens

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Like this:
Attachments
15696967270_7c6898891b_z.jpg
15883628832_90eefa88c5_z.jpg
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Thats the boy! Fenn traps do the biz.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
redskies

Post by redskies »

If you can find someone with a ferret, shut the chickens in and get them to run the beastie through the place - the scent of a predator is a very effective rat deterrent, they're not stupid, they won't stay where there's a threat!

I bred fancy rats years ago, they're incredibly intelligent critters. Spoke to someone once, she told me she watched a couple rats move an egg. Can't roll it, one held onto the egg, on it's back, the other towed it by the tail...

Of all the methods I've heard of over the years, natural predator with a strong scent has come out on top, not only in terms of moving on resident ratties but also to deter future squatters. If you can, find someone who'll walk round your garden with a ferret or even get one yourself. They're cute wee things, and if raised right not nasty at all. Just don't keep it near the chickens. The odd visit from one is fine, but the continual strong scent can upset the birds, as they know they're on the menu as well!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well that's one down young adult looking at it so either there's a young family under the coup.....
Attachments
IMG_20190207_202620625.jpg

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

redskies wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:54 am If you can find someone with a ferret, shut the chickens in and get them to run the beastie through the place - the scent of a predator is a very effective rat deterrent, they're not stupid, they won't stay where there's a threat!

I bred fancy rats years ago, they're incredibly intelligent critters. Spoke to someone once, she told me she watched a couple rats move an egg. Can't roll it, one held onto the egg, on it's back, the other towed it by the tail...

Of all the methods I've heard of over the years, natural predator with a strong scent has come out on top, not only in terms of moving on resident ratties but also to deter future squatters. If you can, find someone who'll walk round your garden with a ferret or even get one yourself. They're cute wee things, and if raised right not nasty at all. Just don't keep it near the chickens. The odd visit from one is fine, but the continual strong scent can upset the birds, as they know they're on the menu as well!
That's a option I have the use of a farm terrier might get my mate down and post Sam under the shed and see what runs ... If it gets chance :D

jansman

Post by jansman »

Ha ha! I work ferrets. Lose sight and they will kill poultry in a heartbeat! Bring in a terrier that is not stockbroken and it will kill poultry in LESS than a heartbeat. I used to run a team of four Russells and Lakies , ratting and foxing ( and badgers when it was legal).Its fun, but far from efficient. Traps and poison.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:17 pm Ha ha! I work ferrets. Lose sight and they will kill poultry in a heartbeat! Bring in a terrier that is not stockbroken and it will kill poultry in LESS than a heartbeat. I used to run a team of four Russells and Lakies , ratting and foxing ( and badgers when it was legal).Its fun, but far from efficient. Traps and poison.

When I was young and single I'd spend hours sat in barns with a few mates and a .22 sadly ;) now a family and 3 kids I can't get escape / snipering time :( :mrgreen:

jansman

Post by jansman »

Now a .22 is fun! But it does need time. When you get to my age, and the kids don’t need you( except for money!) shooting and fishing is so much more accessible.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Now 2 Down poor thing had somehow caught it's back end in the trap....

Had to dispatch it with a lump hammer at 7am

Good thing I'm checking 3 times a day..

Need to get my air rifle out just for humane and less messy dispatch ...

Since the powers that be don't mention decapitation eg spade or axe.... In the rules. ...

Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:00 pm Now 2 Down poor thing had somehow caught it's back end in the trap....

Had to dispatch it with a lump hammer at 7am

Good thing I'm checking 3 times a day..

Need to get my air rifle out just for humane and less messy dispatch ...

Since the powers that be don't mention decapitation eg spade or axe.... In the rules. ...
Standing on them works too and no problems with having to carry anything.