Storage for herbs etc

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
itsybitsy

Storage for herbs etc

Post by itsybitsy »

I've just ordered a load of dried herbs, spices and the like. Am wondering what's the best type of receptacle in which to store them. I picked up several airtight plastic storage containers in Sainsbury when they were reduced to almost nothing, but I only got three. :roll:

Kilner? Clip top? Any thoughts?
Deeps

Re: Storage for herbs etc

Post by Deeps »

Depends on how much you have Itsy but airtight is the way ahead. We have 'ready use' herbs in a twirly rack thing but have a big tupaware type box full of the backup supplies. How big do the containers need to be ????
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Deeps wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:39 pm Depends on how much you have Itsy but airtight is the way ahead. We have 'ready use' herbs in a twirly rack thing but have a big tupaware type box full of the backup supplies. How big do the containers need to be ????
Weeeeeeeeeeellll....I bought 400g of some, which takes up a surprisingly large amount of space! More than I'd anticipated! :shock: :lol:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

itsybitsy wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:52 pm
Deeps wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:39 pm Depends on how much you have Itsy but airtight is the way ahead. We have 'ready use' herbs in a twirly rack thing but have a big tupaware type box full of the backup supplies. How big do the containers need to be ????
Weeeeeeeeeeellll....I bought 400g of some, which takes up a surprisingly large amount of space! More than I'd anticipated! :shock: :lol:
Kilners (or similar) might be the job there then, anything airtight though so if you have some tupaware doing hee haw then that'll work too. I assume you'll be decanting some for day to day use though.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Deeps wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:56 pm
itsybitsy wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:52 pm
Kilners (or similar) might be the job there then, anything airtight though so if you have some tupaware doing hee haw then that'll work too. I assume you'll be decanting some for day to day use though.
Yes. So need big containers for the storage.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Personally I use those small ziplock mylar bags for such things
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman