The flexitarion diet

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
grenfell

Re: The flexitarion diet

Post by grenfell »

jansman wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:52 pm Flexitarian was what used to be called Omnivorous before food became political.

Reinventing the wheel?
I suppose it's essentially saying eat a wide range of foods with less animal prroducts which as you say was far more common at one time. Whatever diet it's possible to not get the best out of it. One vegetarian friend has a pretty varied diet and is in pretty good health. His brother also doesn't eat meat but eats more cheese and peanuts than is probably good for him and isn't in the best of health.
There does seem a wider availability of vegan foods available nowadays . Recently my vegan friend put a post on Facebook about a restaurant near her that is doing vegan fish and chips. The interesting bit was the replies . One vegetarian said she preferred to have a bit of dairy and eggs and the whole thing turned into a slanging match as the vegans laid into her.
Me , I'm probably not that far off that flexitarian diet although I do eat more animal products than what's in there.
Deeps

Re: The flexitarion diet

Post by Deeps »

prepfungus wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:54 am
It is a very easy diet if you have the right mindset and have reasons for being vegan, personally I went vegan a few months ago after being veggie for 4 years and I don't find it that difficult - but I can see where you're coming from in that a lot of the meat substitute bits are shipped all around the place, I'd argue you could say that about a lot of different foods, though. Mainly, I can't speak for every veggie/vegan but my diet has hardly any tofu in and I could easily go without meat substitutes to get protein and carbs in the case of those products not being available. As it stands, in modern times in the UK, we have a booming vegan industry so it's extremely easy and cheap to have this diet and most foods that give us the best nutrition are beans, pulses, grains, veg, nuts etc which I am sure most of us here are stockpiling anyway.
Fair play mate, its a lot easier than it was as the market expands, before my missus went 'pesky-tarian' she was all veggie and especially abroad it was tricky at times. I find myself on the veggie side of the argument compared to the 'must eat meat' side of debates, my brother has been a proper prick at times and its not like my missus is even militant about it. Militant 'anything' is the reserve of the self absorbed, at least for this callsign.

Oh and I don't blame you for keeping the tofu to a minimum although I've had it as mock paneer in some things and its disguised by its small chunks and strong flavours. Its a 'no from me'. There are some pretty decent Quorn options out there though.