Purging gasses and food containers

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
hedgerowpete

Purging gasses and food containers

Post by hedgerowpete »

Watching the welders on site today dealing with a stainless steel pipe.

They used a method of almost sealing each end and pushing an innert gas through to remove all the oxygen before welding. that gave me the idea of a mondern version of the dry ice i used to use in large containers.

even in a vac packer theres some oxygen left to spoil the food and many long term packets have a label saying packed in a protective atmosphere.

Has anyone else trialed the idea of a smal gas bottle of argon or co2 or nitrogen and or mig welder gas bottles and a small regulator and hose to flush out packets before sealing them to flush the oxygen out.
jansman

Re: Purging gasses and food containers

Post by jansman »

Industrial vac packers have a ' gas flush' faciity.Its used mainly in the poultry industry - sucks the air out and replaces it with carbon dioxide.Ours at work has that option,but its of no use to us at the moment.So the technology is out there,but at a domestic level I wouldnt know how you go about it tbh.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
hedgerowpete

Post by hedgerowpete »

once i learn how to post pictures i can show you my set up and how it all works, been doing it for years in jam jars of seeds and foods
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I used to put a squirt of nitrogen into opened wine bottles at the end of the shift when I ran a pub, you'd never get all the oxygen out but it means the wine is nicer when you pour a glass the next day.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.