What not to grow

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Re: What not to grow

Post by jansman »

It’s what works for you. I always grow strawberries- can’t stand ‘em meself, but wife loves them! In a grid down situation, those strawberries ( or figs) are a real morale booster.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Morale is a very good point and it would probably be very good for the morale to be chomping strawberries and figs when the world around is scrabbling over raw potatoes ( not that I think that's really likely but you get the point) . In another thread we did talk about what to barter and little luxuries like those might just be a possibility .
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Figs are definitely worth it if you have the space. Nothing beats a fig fresh off the branch all squidgy! You can't buy them that ripe as they don't transport at all! They don't really make it off the branch intact! My neighbour has a giant fig tree which overhangs my garden and they say I can gather all the figs I want on my side! :D I'm told constricting the roots increases yield, but I'm no expert. Poundland often sell fig "trees" - aka a barely rooted twig, but if you pick a healthy one and nurture it, they do come through.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

It's a pity I don't have a Poundland nearby although I do at times go into one , but thanks for the tip anyway. I 'm fairly sure I brought a couple of black currant "twigs" from there and they seem to have done well so definitely worth a look.