SHTF cooking

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Stonecarver

SHTF cooking

Post by Stonecarver »

Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Deeps

Re: SHTF cooking

Post by Deeps »

The big problem I can see with that is the smell will attract the zombie hordes, or the local chavistocracy as I like to call them. ;)

It does look good and its a pity she's not telling us what she's adding. Looks like paneer though which is one of our favs.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Deeps wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:42 pm The big problem I can see with that is the smell will attract the zombie hordes, or the local chavistocracy as I like to call them. ;)

It does look good and its a pity she's not telling us what she's adding. Looks like paneer though which is one of our favs.
Sure I saw the ingredients on the videos bottom left when she put in ingredients. Btw did you get around to put in that tandoor you were considering?
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Stonecarver wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:43 am
Deeps wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:42 pm The big problem I can see with that is the smell will attract the zombie hordes, or the local chavistocracy as I like to call them. ;)

Sure I saw the ingredients on the videos bottom left when she put in ingredients. Btw did you get around to put in that tandoor you were considering?
Cheers, I'll have a look. No, the tandoor is still on the 'to do' list, I really am a lazy B'stard. :(
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

If smell is a problem there is always the old idea off hot rock cooking. Rocks are heated outside on a fire , so just woodsmoke no food smell and not even that if one uses charcoal and then those rocks are placed into the food , usually a type of stew , inside thus containing smells.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hangi:

Dutch Oven:

Keeps the smells trapped in till dug up.

Probably the tenderest meat I've every eaten using the Hangi method.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I lived in New Zealand as a kid, used to love it when we went to a hangi. Wasn't too bothered about the 'mechanics' of it all at the time.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Deeps wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:12 am I lived in New Zealand as a kid, used to love it when we went to a hangi. Wasn't too bothered about the 'mechanics' of it all at the time.
Tin foil. ;)

Have a look at some pics from a 2016 Meet:

https://bushcraftuk.com/community/index ... es.141621/
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.