SHTF cooking

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Post Reply
Stonecarver
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:32 pm
Location: Eastern Scotland

SHTF cooking

Post by Stonecarver » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:38 pm

One sure sign of the decline of a civilisation is the inability to reproduce the technological achievments of its past

User avatar
Deeps
Posts: 5323
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:36 pm

Re: SHTF cooking

Post by Deeps » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:42 pm

The big problem I can see with that is the smell will attract the zombie hordes, or the local chavistocracy as I like to call them. ;)

It does look good and its a pity she's not telling us what she's adding. Looks like paneer though which is one of our favs.

Stonecarver
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:32 pm
Location: Eastern Scotland

Re: SHTF cooking

Post by Stonecarver » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:43 am

Deeps wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:42 pm
The big problem I can see with that is the smell will attract the zombie hordes, or the local chavistocracy as I like to call them. ;)

It does look good and its a pity she's not telling us what she's adding. Looks like paneer though which is one of our favs.
Sure I saw the ingredients on the videos bottom left when she put in ingredients. Btw did you get around to put in that tandoor you were considering?
One sure sign of the decline of a civilisation is the inability to reproduce the technological achievments of its past

User avatar
Deeps
Posts: 5323
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:36 pm

Re: SHTF cooking

Post by Deeps » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:36 am

Stonecarver wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:43 am
Deeps wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:42 pm
The big problem I can see with that is the smell will attract the zombie hordes, or the local chavistocracy as I like to call them. ;)

It does look good and its a pity she's not telling us what she's adding. Looks like paneer though which is one of our favs.
Sure I saw the ingredients on the videos bottom left when she put in ingredients. Btw did you get around to put in that tandoor you were considering?
Cheers, I'll have a look. No, the tandoor is still on the 'to do' list, I really am a lazy B'stard. :(

grenfell
Posts: 2156
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: SHTF cooking

Post by grenfell » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:16 am

If smell is a problem there is always the old idea off hot rock cooking. Rocks are heated outside on a fire , so just woodsmoke no food smell and not even that if one uses charcoal and then those rocks are placed into the food , usually a type of stew , inside thus containing smells.

User avatar
pseudonym
Posts: 3172
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:11 am
Location: East Midlands

Re: SHTF cooking

Post by pseudonym » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:22 am

Deeps wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:42 pm
The big problem I can see with that is the smell will attract the zombie hordes, or the local chavistocracy as I like to call them. ;)
Hangi:





Dutch Oven:



Keeps the smells trapped in till dug up.

Probably the tenderest meat I've every eaten using the Hangi method.
The roads are pretty bad and if you do end up getting stuck its hard to justify your reason for being on the roads as 'vegan mince for a feckin' princess'.

User avatar
Deeps
Posts: 5323
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:36 pm

Re: SHTF cooking

Post by Deeps » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:12 am

I lived in New Zealand as a kid, used to love it when we went to a hangi. Wasn't too bothered about the 'mechanics' of it all at the time.

User avatar
pseudonym
Posts: 3172
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:11 am
Location: East Midlands

Re: SHTF cooking

Post by pseudonym » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:32 am

Deeps wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:12 am
I lived in New Zealand as a kid, used to love it when we went to a hangi. Wasn't too bothered about the 'mechanics' of it all at the time.
Tin foil. ;)

Have a look at some pics from a 2016 Meet:

https://bushcraftuk.com/community/index ... es.141621/
The roads are pretty bad and if you do end up getting stuck its hard to justify your reason for being on the roads as 'vegan mince for a feckin' princess'.

Post Reply