Dehydration in Uganda

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
FlashPan

Dehydration in Uganda

Post by FlashPan »

Just though to share this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44579530

I was mainly shocked at the amount of food wasteage and cheapness of this unit.

Cheers
Gordon's Alive!?
Arzosah

Re: Dehydration in Uganda

Post by Arzosah »

Such a simple thing! I wonder if the price is very high in Ugandan terms, though. And we've never heard anything about that level of waste ... I'm really surprised they don't have their own version of pickling and salting ...
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

A bit bigger and a bit more agricultural than mine but I'd have one of those bad boys.
FlashPan

Post by FlashPan »

$80 I think in Uganda is quite high considering an accountant earns under $10k per year

https://www.averagesalarysurvey.com/uganda

Hopefully this is not a bad thing to think or say but maybe the amount of wasteage can be linked to the starvation levels in this continent? There is no or not enough infrastructure to look after and store what is locally made.
Gordon's Alive!?
jansman

Post by jansman »

Very little electricity,so no refrigeration.A common problem in Africa.It is for that reason,and batteries being scarce and expensive,that the wind-up radio came,about.The diet in Nigeria is obviously plant based so has a short shelf life.Hence food waste.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Excellent idea given the levels of wastage but it's a pity there's not any more detaiil in that report. It mentions using garden waste and gas to dehydrate the food so I would assume that there is some form of biodigester producing methane in the process.
peejay

Post by peejay »

I'm no expert but I can't help thinking that 10kg of mangos in 2hrs sounds more like an oven than a dehydrator? Wouldn't they normally take at least 24hrs with a domestic dehydrator?
jansman

Post by jansman »

peejay wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:34 am I'm no expert but I can't help thinking that 10kg of mangos in 2hrs sounds more like an oven than a dehydrator? Wouldn't they normally take at least 24hrs with a domestic dehydrator?
They would. The Nigerian model is industrial,and developing world.We play about on a ' hobby' level.Any criticism of their food waste by the First World is a bit rich,as I guess that the Nigerian farmers don't like it either.Mind you,an earlier post did question whether they had local preservation methods.That would be interesting to research...

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Cannot find info on preservation.However...http://www.travelstart.com.ng/blog/22-f ... ng-abroad/

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:13 pm They would. The Nigerian model is industrial,and developing world.We play about on a ' hobby' level.Any criticism of their food waste by the First World is a bit rich,as I guess that the Nigerian farmers don't like it either.Mind you,an earlier post did question whether they had local preservation methods.That would be interesting to research...
Totally. While I'm not sure if the article was scoring points, I bet the Nigerian's would win the competition of who wastes the least. We're pretty good at it in the First World. I'm guessing 'it is what it is', as you say I bet they don't want to waste stuff that they could sell for a profit.