Lidl selling 5Kg boxes of fruit & veg for £1.50

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
peejay

Lidl selling 5Kg boxes of fruit & veg for £1.50

Post by peejay »

Possibly slightly damaged but still perfectly good to eat. Trialling at 122 stores (but no info on which those are)

https://www.facebook.com/lidluk/photos/ ... =3&theater
Plymtom

Re: Lidl selling 5Kg boxes of fruit & veg for £1.50

Post by Plymtom »

I'd give it a go :D
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Clarebelle

Post by Clarebelle »

This is an excellent idea and something all supermarkets should do. Even if the stuff ends up only being good for soup, I'd definitely pay £1.50 for 5kg of fruit and veg. It's worth it even if half goes in the compost! Shame I don't have Lidl down the road
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Anyone seen / found these yet?

No luck in our local store. :(
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

None in my store either, great idea though, saves me rummaging in the reduced section.

Had a bit of a Google, think the trial has finished now and the boxes were only supposed to be available between 0800 and 1030 which might explain why no one saw one, that's too early for me to be in Lidl anyway.

Hopefully it achieved what they bosses wanted it to and they'll roll it out to every store.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jamesey1981 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:57 am None in my store either, great idea though, saves me rummaging in the reduced section.

Had a bit of a Google, think the trial has finished now and the boxes were only supposed to be available between 0800 and 1030 which might explain why no one saw one, that's too early for me to be in Lidl anyway.

Hopefully it achieved what they bosses wanted it to and they'll roll it out to every store.
It would be great if it was rolled out, I might need a second dehydrator though. ;)
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Yeah, can't go wrong with a quid fifty, even if all you do is make a big vat of soup it's a bargain.

Back when I was broke I would buy the slightly battered stuff from the guys on the market, didn't have the most exciting diet but I never went hungry and I was healthier than I am now I can afford to eat more interesting stuff!
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jamesey1981 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:26 pm Yeah, can't go wrong with a quid fifty, even if all you do is make a big vat of soup it's a bargain.

Back when I was broke I would buy the slightly battered stuff from the guys on the market, didn't have the most exciting diet but I never went hungry and I was healthier than I am now I can afford to eat more interesting stuff!
Huh, you have a point, I used to feed myself for a tenner a week back in the early 90's when we didn't have the bargain scran we do now. I'm not counting the odd kebab etc in that tenner ;)

I was definitely healthier but I was generally a lot fitter and of course a good bit younger but it I'll be honest and I totally scunnered myself with porridge. It was V cheap but every morning.... its a no from me. Still part of my preps (and walking food) but not something I relish.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Jamesey1981 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:26 pmBack when I was broke I would buy the slightly battered stuff from the guys on the market, didn't have the most exciting diet but I never went hungry and I was healthier than I am now I can afford to eat more interesting stuff!
I too had this revelation earlier this year. When I was broke I ate more healthily than I do now. Takeaways never happened. Eating out occurred only on my birthday (actually for a number of years a takeaway was my birthday treat!). I cooked lots of lentils 'cos they were cheap. I rarely drank 'cos booze is expensive. I was a much healthier weight. At the risk of getting political I do take umbrage at documentaries that point to a causality between poverty and poor diet. It's not causality, it's a correlation. There is a massive difference.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb