Ration packs

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Dave999

Ration packs

Post by Dave999 »

Hi,
I'm looking at putting a 'get home bag' together to keep in my car.

Does anyone have any tips for finding a good place to buy military style ration packs? There seams to be a lot out there but wasn't sure if they were any good. I assume official military ration packs would be some of the best.

I'm looking for something compact as it needs to go into a rucksack. Something where the meals can be eaten hot or cold would be useful.

It would be good to get your advice/experiences of ration packs.

Thanks in advance.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Ration packs

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Nice one.
Maybe piecing together separate items is the way forward.
Thanks.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

If its for the car then weight isn't a big issue but if the car isn't available for whatever reason how far do you need to go ?

Rat packs might be an expensive way of doing it if you're travelling a relatively short distance, especially if you're going to eat them cold anyway. Just as well having a couple tins of all day breakfast or the like.

If you do plan on taking some kind of stove then the packets of porridge and/or soup might be an easy option too, a pot to heat water and jobs a fish. Of course, you'll need water but that's something handy anyway.

Give us a bit more to work with mate, personally I don't bother with Rat packs, partly expense but because they are 'soggy' they're heavy. I dehydrate my own meals for hill walking but in my GHB I have a couple of tins of food and the porridge and soup sachets along with oat bar stuff. I have a few spare calories cunningly concealed about my person that will help me get back and I'm possibly looking at up to a couple of days travel worst case scenario. Its a GHB, not designed for anything more. Whatever works for you though, no one right way of doing it, have a look at some of the threads where its been discussed.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Thanks for the advice.

My plan has two parts

1. A car based kit, where as you mentioned, weight is no problem. Included will be ample of food, water and a trangia stove which I already own.

Part 2. A grab rucksack with a couple of days of supplies. I'll use this if I for whatever reason, need to leave my car. This is where the weight and bulk will be an issue. I'm probably going to include one of the small steel foldable stoves (can't remember what they are called) which uses solid fuel blocks, along with a crusader metal cup (both of which I already own). I guess food which doesn't have to be hydrated will save on a water requirement but then are generally heavier.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Dave999 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:32 pm Hi,
I'm looking at putting a 'get home bag' together to keep in my car.

Does anyone have any tips for finding a good place to buy military style ration packs? There seams to be a lot out there but wasn't sure if they were any good. I assume official military ration packs would be some of the best.

I'm looking for something compact as it needs to go into a rucksack. Something where the meals can be eaten hot or cold would be useful.

It would be good to get your advice/experiences of ration packs.

Thanks in advance.
It has to be about 1980 since I ate a rat pack.To quote Crocodile Dundee, " Tastes like shi£ but you can live on it. " It fed us.

All those years on,food has moved on.Tons of off the shelf options.My own ghb is based on a maximum 24 hour walk home.Food wise,I have a seven sea lifeboat ration.3000 calories,I think :roll: some Snickers (MARATHONS!) and water.

Most folk have enough calories around their waists.Me included.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

How long do you see yourself travelling for ? This will have a bearing on what you carry, if you look at a recent thread on GHB's me and Jansman have different approaches because of our different situations. Weather will also impact, we've had a great summer but its not usual, something to factor in for the bulk/weight.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Good point. I'll have a look.
I guess 1 to 2 days, assuming carrying food for longer periods may get too cumbersome. Cheers.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:37 pm Look what we found.....

Could get them in Morrisons...

https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop ... /357784011

http://www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk/
they look alright especially for £1 but I would have expected a higher calorific content for the weight (265Kcal in a 250g pack)

its 40% beef which would be 100g = 250Kcal the other 150g of weight is basically water and flavor totaling 15kcal

compared to something like a belvita chocolate chip breakfast biscuit which is 205 kcal for a 50g biscuit.

I suppose it really depends on the time of year, I know i'd rather something hot in my stomach if I had to cook on the move in winter and would put up with the excess weight, a hot meal does wonders for morale too.

I'd normally tailor my pack contents based on the season, in summer I'd reduce hot meals to 1 a day and supplement the rest with high calorie ready to eat stuff.

but based on the OP's 1-2 day walk time he'd want to be eating at least 6 of these meatball packs a day , 3Kg for 2 days isnt too bad I suppose considering it will get progressively lighter as its consumed, but it will take up a sizable chunk of bag space initially.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.