Ration packs

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Pointboy

Re: Ration packs

Post by Pointboy »

From my experience in the Army, military ration packs are not nice. They are long lasting yes, cheap yes but taste wise? They are horrendous most of the time.

I’m not saying go for something stupidly expensive as I know there are brands out there that make MRE packs that you can buy by the bucket load but they are stupidly expensive. A good place to go would be somewhere like mountain warehouse or go outdoors
AREA 8 we shall defend our island, what ever the cost may be,we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds,we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills, we shall never surrender.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Pointboy wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:15 pm From my experience in the Army, military ration packs are not nice. They are long lasting yes, cheap yes but taste wise? They are horrendous most of the time.

I’m not saying go for something stupidly expensive as I know there are brands out there that make MRE packs that you can buy by the bucket load but they are stupidly expensive. A good place to go would be somewhere like mountain warehouse or go outdoors
Thanks for the advice, I'll try a few camping shops to see what I can find.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

If you do go down the ration pack route this site , http://www.mreinfo.com/forums/index.php has a ton of reviews of various rations . It is an american site but covers meals produc d world wide. Those guys do tend to eat them for a hobby more than anything else but makes for interesting reading. If you have the time you may come across the spoon thread. A thread all about , well , spoons and their diffferences that are found in mre' s .
Going offf on a slight tangent I do remember some American army packs that were probably late 70's or early 80's that we got our hands on some time ago. It was based on tins rather than the pouches found nowadays and included tinned cake which I thought was lovely but is alas no more .
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Though about NRG-5?

Its a 'lifeboat' type ration that can be eaten as is or turned into a porridge-like food (hot or cold)

One source is Evilbay

Also look in to things like cuppasoups and mugshots they can have BBE dates up to two years off.... Not that I pay much attention to best before dates.

For a GHB I'd want calorie dense stuff that needs minimal prep. Fast & Light
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:42 pm
Also look in to things like cuppasoups and mugshots they can have BBE dates up to two years off.... Not that I pay much attention to best before dates.
Yup, especially in cold weather (remember that ?) a hot drink or snack can be a big morale booster as well as having a practical benefit. Even a tea or coffee can help but if you have something with a bit more energy it can make a big difference. Depending on your set up you can even drink/eat/slurp it on the move if you have to. Conversely it can also give you an excuse to stop for a standeasy and catch your breath if you're hard at it.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:42 pm Though about NRG-5?

Its a 'lifeboat' type ration that can be eaten as is or turned into a porridge-like food (hot or cold)

One source is Evilbay

For a GHB I'd want calorie dense stuff that needs minimal prep. Fast & Light
Looks like a good idea, looks perfect, light weight and not a lot of bulk, eat hot and cold. Defiantly going to investigate. Nice one.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

I always keep a box of the seven oceans emergency rations in the car (3 day ration for £7, ) you can get them on evilbay and amazon

to be honest though it would be last resort, my GHB has much tastier stuff. I just stuck them in there in case someone else was with me at the time as i'd feel obliged to share.

Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

xplosiv1 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:38 pm I always keep a box of the seven oceans emergency rations in the car (3 day ration for £7, ) you can get them on evilbay and amazon

to be honest though it would be last resort, my GHB has much tastier stuff. I just stuck them in there in case someone else was with me at the time as i'd feel obliged to share.

Great, thanks!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

xplosiv1 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:38 pm
This is always something to consider with prepping, there might be those that you love or regard turn up, then again, even if they don't and you think you have enough to sashay through the apocalpyse, others might not be so reasonable.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

Deeps wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:25 pm
xplosiv1 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:38 pm
This is always something to consider with prepping, there might be those that you love or regard turn up, then again, even if they don't and you think you have enough to sashay through the apocalpyse, others might not be so reasonable.
yup it's too easy to think of yourself as the lone ranger marching gloriously off into the darkness while the world is falling to pieces around you ..... but even the lone ranger had a sidekick and two horses to feed.

Best to stay grounded in reality, 6 out of 10 times i'm in the car i'm not alone as I'm sure is the same for most people.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.