got me an allotment!!

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Yorkshire Andy

got me an allotment!!

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Old chap has let us go halves on the plot with him as it was getting too much for him (all above board with council our names joint on the plot)

So what to plant for over winter as it's a bit late in the season?
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
itsybitsy

Re: got me an allotment!!

Post by itsybitsy »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:48 am Old chap has let us go halves on the plot with him as it was getting too much for him (all above board with council our names joint on the plot)

Lucky bugger. I'm gonna have to get pots in the garden, nobody is interested in sharesies in my local allotments.

Beetroot, spring cabbage, carrots.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Nice one Andy, now if only there were posters on here who knew anything about allotments......
jansman

Post by jansman »

Lettuce,radish,spring cabbage.Get your arse in gear,and you might still find some Brussels plants at a nursery.Chinese cabbages,garlic,spinach beet,baby beetroot,Japanese onions,round ( not wrinkled) peas,broad beans.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

itsybitsy wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:02 am
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:48 am Old chap has let us go halves on the plot with him as it was getting too much for him (all above board with council our names joint on the plot)

Lucky bugger. I'm gonna have to get pots in the garden, nobody is interested in sharesies in my local allotments.

Beetroot, spring cabbage, carrots.

He approached us as he was planning on giving up as he couldn't manage .. he has chickens and he loves them soon realised that jokingly naming them paxo , Sunday roast , sage and onion was a bad idea ;)

Got the keys but looks like the main gate has a new lock on..... So need to pop and see him tomorrow

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well we are in!

Spent the afternoon with the rotorvator grounds to dry and hard ... Shed on the plot now has a coat of paint on it got some felt in the garden to patch the roof up at some point soon

Mick104

Post by Mick104 »

Congrads with the allotment .
Last chance to get some spuds in , I have just planted my last for this year, in containers . Best varieties would be 2nd earlies . You will need to check the super markets for organically grown potatoes for your seed . I have planted Lady Balfour, Valor, Navan (all main crop) and Marfona. I will move those to the tunnel end of September . I have sown peas and broad beans in the last week. Spring Cabbage .
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Right .

Had a dig and a friendly horticultural know it all visit. (friend of Mrs Andy's who is a former horticulturalist and landscape gardener) she said the soil is crap...... (Plenty of worms but no organic matter) it's a nice loam to me not too heavy etc

So I've secured a few caddy trailers worth of horse poo and straw (bring on the weeds ;) :) )

I'm looking at getting some spuds in along a few rows so the kids stay interested I've dug over about 1/5th so far tonight by hand will tickle it all over with the rotorvator this weekend to smash some clods up) and till it fine

So anyone any experience with "green manure" ???

I'm thinking field bean the plot as soon as the weather gives us some rain and come spring rotorvate / dig the lot in and use that as a base for improving the soil or would clover be better?

And probably plant plant a fair few beans and peas next year purely to enrich the soil.... And turn them in as they flower :/

jansman

Post by jansman »

You got the green manure right Andy.Sow in Autumn,turn over in Spring.If there is a lot of straw on that muck trailer,then compost it.Raw straw will rob nitrogen from your soil.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well I've got about 1/3rd dug over

Been chatting to a few plot holders who seem jealous of my plot apparently it grows well..

Got some very confused looks when I mentioned green manure only one of three chaps I spoke to understands the idea but hasn't tried it... So ordered a kilo of wizard Field Bean

My plan for what it's worth at this stage is to fodder 3/4 of the plot over winter and keep 1/4 or so for the winter spuds / winter onions, and a few carrots

Need to get my potted strawberry plants out the tubs ASAP as they are sending runners out now so I hope to double my plants with no cost ;)

Tomorrow I'll get a couple of trailers of horsemuck and stick it in a heap ...

Mrs Andy came home with some "bee" mix which is off along one fence line to attract them to help ;)

Not too sure about the "butterfly mix" however ;)

Seriously looking at the "ergonomic" super spades and rakes in Lidl at the moment not sure if they are worth £15 though?