Winter food prices

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Winter food prices

Post by jansman »

Forget BREXIT ( I so hate that word), that alone is going to skew our food supply and costs. Lack of rain will be the big problem. Pea growers are citing this. Any gardener or allotment holder will say the same.

Grass is the problem- not what the dregs smoke- that which grows. One of my near neighbours and friend, is a cattle dealer. Limousin if it makes a difference to anyone! :D He normally makes two cuts from his land and it sees him through Winter. His Spring cut has gone, as the beast have ZERO grass to graze, and they have eaten Winter stores already. Hay is having to be imported. From Europe! And it is costing!

One of my customers owns an equine stud farm and polo team. He is also sending a truck a week to Holland to buy hay, in order to save transport costs.

Spuds will be the same too, as my spud growing friend tells me. Anyone remember 11 quid 25kg sacks back in 2008?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
xplosiv1

Re: Winter food prices

Post by xplosiv1 »

half my family are farmers, cattle & sheep mostly, they keep horses, pigs and chickens too and they're all feeling the pinch. Winter is definitely gonna hit our pockets hard for supermarket trips. on the plus side my potatoes in the back garden are doing amazing should get at least 100kg + maybe another 50kg from the allotment.

all we need now is another long extreme cold winter and were gonna be up to our necks in the brown stuff next year !!
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Mother Nature sure knows how to keep us in our place, as clever as we think we are!

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Farmer on the Scottish weather forum is saying the same thing Jansman, no grass left and no silage. And earlier on they were predicting a bad winter coming on the long term forecasts.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:17 am Farmer on the Scottish weather forum is saying the same thing Jansman, no grass left and no silage. And earlier on they were predicting a bad winter coming on the long term forecasts.
:lol:
Not knocking but we're a gloomy lot, the longest hot spell in years and we're worrying about having to 'brace ourselves' for winter. :lol:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Deeps wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:10 am
diamond lil wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:17 am Farmer on the Scottish weather forum is saying the same thing Jansman, no grass left and no silage. And earlier on they were predicting a bad winter coming on the long term forecasts.
:lol:
Not knocking but we're a gloomy lot, the longest hot spell in years and we're worrying about having to 'brace ourselves' for winter. :lol:
Ha ha! :lol: The weather is nice, and Winter is not pleasant, for sure. Trouble is, as a species, humankind, all technology, whistles and bells, seemingly able to overcome all problems...we forget that our very existence relies on seeds. Everything we eat starts with a seed in the ground. Right now, the lack of rain is stunting the growth of field and garden crops. It is serious. And it’s making the river fishing crap! :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I'm really enjoying this hot spell, not moaning about it in any way. Last good summer we had here was 1983, and I'm not kidding :mrgreen:
daylen

Post by daylen »

Realistically then, this is suggesting an even longer spell of high prices and reduced availability. Going straight from weather induced shortages in winter to Brexit in March 2019.

I think this is getting serious now and the risk of huge price increases is high. Definitely time to start (trying to) convince my wider network of friends and family that they need to think about this now, and think about reducing other income in preparation.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

At the moment cattle and sheep prices are dropping as no one wants to buy more stock when they have no idea how they're going to feed the ones they already own. Feed prices for animals are already through the roof and climbing, and that's IF you can source any. Crop levels are way back on normal years and of poorer quality than usual. Now you may not have animals to feed but if you have a dog you can expect that to leap in price shortly. Food for humans will be scare eventually too with the accompanying price hikes. At the moment I know of one feed merchant sourcing sugar beet from holland as germany and france are sold out. Grain is a component of a lot of food products and is already at high price levels and will only get worse. I'm already planning a shop to store more if I can, as the prices rise I'll be hard put to afford much as I can only see our income shrink. I wonder how many farmers will go to the wall before this time next year?
jansman

Post by jansman »

Cattle dealer near me sold EVERYTHING yesterday whilst he could. Feed prices are outstripping profits he told me as we were lamenting upon the price of the layers pellets we were both buying!

Meat prices WILL increase. But so will veg. In Japan they’re seeing a 65% hike because of their heatwave.

Robert Frost.

Me.