Slug control in the garden

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Medusa

Re: Slug control in the garden

Post by Medusa »

Last year our garden was filled with toads and frogs and the slug population was non existent. Apparently according to old folklore toads on your doorstep are a sign of wealth, in which case I must be very wealthy indeed! This year however we have seen very few toads or frogs but attribute that to the dry weather we have had. We did find some kind to hedgehog and amphibian slug pellets which appear to have worked well so far, but would far rather have our jumpy friends back.
Growing old disgracefully!
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I did find some slugs this weekend. They had congregated under the lid of one of the water butts. There were perhaps a dozen and they were all the olive green type. I picked them off and disposed of them . Has anyone else noticed that the slime from green slugs seems considerably more sticky and harder to remove from the fingers than the slime from brown or black slugs?
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

grenfell wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:20 am Has anyone else noticed that the slime from green slugs seems considerably more sticky and harder to remove from the fingers than the slime from brown or black slugs?
You pick them up with your bare hands! :shock: I treat them like dog poo: poop bag inside out over the hand, pick 'em up, bag the right way round, tie the handles really tight, pop in the dustbin. :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Yeah. I pick them up with my bare hands . Basically as soon as I find them as I don't want the embarrassment of knowing that one got away.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:54 pm Yeah. I pick them up with my bare hands . Basically as soon as I find them as I don't want the embarrassment of knowing that one got away.
Its a non 'Princessy' thing I think mate. :lol:
Was out walking the dogs with a female friend today and long story short, I got a bit of dog keech on my hand, she was making a big thing about it while I wiped it in the grass. I had tissues in my pocket (and told her so) but explained that the long grass worked just as well. She was a bit horrified about the whole thing. :lol:

Now I don't know how squeamish UKPG is but as a rule, its us guys who end up doing the 'icky' jobs. At least that's how it breaks down at Casa Deeps. :lol:
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Dog crap is probably one of the worst substances on earth. Funnily enough only a few weeks ago I was doing someone's lawn and went to pick up a pile of moss , which of course concealed a lovely fresh you know what which I discovered as soon as I picked it up. Quick cuss and a wipe and carry on.
A friend did tell me a story about slugs that certainly made me think yuck. When his son was small he wondered in from the garden one day sucking on something in his hand. When he and his wife asked what it was he showed them and yes it was a slug.
Incidentally "Keech" , not one I've come across before.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:50 am Dog crap is probably one of the worst substances on earth. Funnily enough only a few weeks ago I was doing someone's lawn and went to pick up a pile of moss , which of course concealed a lovely fresh you know what which I discovered as soon as I picked it up. Quick cuss and a wipe and carry on.
A friend did tell me a story about slugs that certainly made me think yuck. When his son was small he wondered in from the garden one day sucking on something in his hand. When he and his wife asked what it was he showed them and yes it was a slug.
Incidentally "Keech" , not one I've come across before.
Keech is a Scottish word, still in fairly common usage, I probably should have used another term, there's plenty of them. :lol:
I usually carry a wee bottle of the hand sanitiser in my jacket pocket if I'm out but don't bother when I'm out with the dogs up the local fields. Plenty grass for any 'mishaps'. ;)
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Perhaps regional to Scotland ? My wife's family come from the west coast , Argyll way , but when I mentioned it she hadn't heard the term . As it was I could work out what you meant as it had a context but if you'd have just given me that one word on it's own I'd probably have thought food off some sort.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:58 pm Perhaps regional to Scotland ? My wife's family come from the west coast , Argyll way , but when I mentioned it she hadn't heard the term . As it was I could work out what you meant as it had a context but if you'd have just given me that one word on it's own I'd probably have thought food off some sort.
I'm not sure how regional it is, its maybe used more in some areas than others and a quick look online doesn't help. I've not had issues using it elsewhere in Scotland, the plot thickens...

While they say one man's meat is another man's poison, you can keep your keech sandwich. :lol:

Post by 90. »

Nematodes - we used to have lots of slugs, the last straw was when one got in through an open patio door and onto the lip of my glass with the result i ended up with it in my mouth.

looked into nematodes and for £12 its sorted our slug problem out, going to give it another dose in a few weeks to keep on top of em.
Its a bit of a faff to to "water them in " but well worth it.
https://www.greengardener.co.uk/shop/ne ... iller.html

Regards