BB and UB dates

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Deeps

Re: BB and UB dates

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 6:55 pm Point is Deeps,the noodles are BEST BEFORE.They will NOT harm you.If they were fresh noodles,and you exceeded the USE BY date,you could easily suffer from Bacillus Cereus. Because your noodles are dried,one of the four elements of food borne illness is removed; moisture.That renders the other 3; food,warmth and time,useless.They might taste like crap,but they won't make you ill.
No mate, they WERE fresh. :lol:

You're right of course, they're dried and no issue. I'm frightfully urbane when I'm not doing uber long or high expeds (doesn't really happen anymore :( ) so I take plenty herbs, spices and even soya sauce etc., plenty scran with me too so even if I opened them and they looked dodgy I'll not be missing a meal. You 'risk assess' your own life choices, saying that, I could probably miss the odd meal. While guidance is useful, especially in the young, you reach a point where yo have to take responsibility for yourself sometimes.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Plymtom, we tend to keep bread (and rolls) in the freezer as we don't use it often enough. Either take them out a bit before we need them or if its a spur of the moment thing give them a quick zap in the microwave. If its for toasting, put it in frozen, it makes no difference, at least to this callsign.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Deeps wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:04 pm Plymtom, we tend to keep bread (and rolls) in the freezer as we don't use it often enough. Either take them out a bit before we need them or if its a spur of the moment thing give them a quick zap in the microwave. If its for toasting, put it in frozen, it makes no difference, at least to this callsign.
A family of five adults, each with their own issues lol, no room in either freezer causes this need to have plenty of options, I could eat toast from frozen bread but I bet I'm the only one here, there's no getting around it, we have to accept that we will waste some, getting it as fresh as possible is the least wasteful, but neither Tesco or Asda are always suitably stocked, but I get around it by getting an odd loaf in the city center which we live close to, I think my main point is sliced bread when fresh can have 5 days clear BB on it, but all too often it's only the one and sometimes that very day :evil: given that I have bought bread which has had mould on, on the BB day ( when it was the day after I bought it) I am thinking that giving up the Sell by date on certain things hasn't helped the consumer, similarly doing likewise with best before on certain items, may well cut waste at the supermarket, and indeed help profits, but it wont help the customer, we need ( consumers) some indication as to when a loaf is likely to be NFG, when it was made could help after all supermarkets need to be able to tell in order to rotate stock, oh and another gripe this time Aldi and carton skimmed milk stock rotation, after years of it happening now and again it's worth a moan :lol: I I had a £5 for every time I had emptied the cupboard to rotate the stock only to find what I had removed ( bought lat week) was actually newer than the stuff I thought I was going to put behind it, this is a common problem, not just with UHT milk, I could understand if it were Tesco or Poundland, Pay peanuts - get monkeys ;)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Plymtom wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:33 pm
Deeps wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:04 pm Plymtom, we tend to keep bread (and rolls) in the freezer as we don't use it often enough. Either take them out a bit before we need them or if its a spur of the moment thing give them a quick zap in the microwave. If its for toasting, put it in frozen, it makes no difference, at least to this callsign.
A family of five adults, each with their own issues lol, no room in either freezer causes this need to have plenty of options, I could eat toast from frozen bread but I bet I'm the only one here, there's no getting around it, we have to accept that we will waste some, getting it as fresh as possible is the least wasteful, but neither Tesco or Asda are always suitably stocked, but I get around it by getting an odd loaf in the city center which we live close to, I think my main point is sliced bread when fresh can have 5 days clear BB on it, but all too often it's only the one and sometimes that very day :evil: given that I have bought bread which has had mould on, on the BB day ( when it was the day after I bought it) I am thinking that giving up the Sell by date on certain things hasn't helped the consumer, similarly doing likewise with best before on certain items, may well cut waste at the supermarket, and indeed help profits, but it wont help the customer, we need ( consumers) some indication as to when a loaf is likely to be NFG, when it was made could help after all supermarkets need to be able to tell in order to rotate stock, oh and another gripe this time Aldi and carton skimmed milk stock rotation, after years of it happening now and again it's worth a moan :lol: I I had a £5 for every time I had emptied the cupboard to rotate the stock only to find what I had removed ( bought lat week) was actually newer than the stuff I thought I was going to put behind it, this is a common problem, not just with UHT milk, I could understand if it were Tesco or Poundland, Pay peanuts - get monkeys ;)
Let it out bro.... let it out... and breath. :lol:

Fair do's on the quantity, that makes sense, especially if there are medical issues to toss in to the equation.

We always look for the oldest BB stuff especially in Aldi but we're not complacent elsewhere either. Its another case of whatever works for YOU. We all tend to imagine stuff from our own perspective as a starting point.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

jansman wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:33 pm That last sentence sums up the modern food ' situation'. Waaay back when I was apprenticed to a Master Butcher,food was purchased pretty much daily.Cooked and consumed that day.No room for storage error.
I perhaps should have said there's a certain logic to it rather than saying it was perfectly logical. Pedantics I know . When looked at purely through the lens of food safety and quality only having a weeks worth or at best two weeks worth of food on hand does make sense but then if we start thinking of resilience and what ifs....