Planter Garden

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Brambles

Re: Planter Garden

Post by Brambles »

ukpreppergrrl wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:25 am
Brambles wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 5:29 pm I'm quite enjoying the freedom of not being tied to the graft of an allotment and I'm really enjoying seeing what I can do with some planters.
As you are very clued up on these matters I assume you know of http://www.verticalveg.org.uk/ :D
Actually no :) This container gardening lark is quite new to me. I've been a 'gardener' for many years but pots and planters is a recent thing.
Have saved the link for later. :D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Really happy and quite relieved to see that it isn't just me who is growing things in planters. Everything looks to be thriving well Brambles!
Growing old disgracefully!
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Its our first year concentrating on growing in (raised) pots as the bending over is getting more difficult and we are a little surprised at just how well everything is doing in such confined spaces. Planting much closer together than we would have done into the ground. There is also the added advantage that should the need come to move somewhere else ;) at least some of our fruit and veggies could come with us at short notice? (Space & weight allowing) Another benefit has been the amount of water we have saved through more concentrated application. This square foot gardening is definitely working for us.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Before I got the allotment I grew a lot in supermarket "bags for life". They were pretty robust and lasted a couple of seasons, even if they were a bit unsightly. Mark Risdill Smith's (vertical veg man) work is good, he is very practical and hands on from experience of setting up two very small, productive back yard/balcony growing experiments. I went on one of his courses when I was volunteering for Garden Organic and I did a write up for the site, I'm sure you could find it.

I still grow a lot in containers - I re-purposed 3 little food waste buckets into strawberry planters last night as we never have any food waste!

Edited to add:

Here are my notes from Mark Smith's course:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9821
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Everything is coming on in leaps and bounds I sowed some mixed salad leave in a pot and they have come up this week. Everything is growing well, once I start to see flowers or signs of sadness I'll get the phostrogen out. At the moment everything looks really good and I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying this experiment. :P
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Well a month on and there's flowers(just) on beans, the Garlic is swelling and the Sweet Potatoes are sloooow :lol

ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

All looking well grand Brambles :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I'm seriously chuffed at how well everything is doing :) Although in fairness we haven't had the heat of summer yet, so I may change my mind!
I haven't had to get the phostrogen out, but now there are flowers on the beans it could be needed soon though.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Brambles wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:45 am I'm seriously chuffed at how well everything is doing :) Although in fairness we haven't had the heat of summer yet, so I may change my mind!
I haven't had to get the phostrogen out, but now there are flowers on the beans it could be needed soon though.
My containers are the same Brambles.With proper attention,some worthwhile crops can be produced.I have 15 fertiliser sacks of 'Rocket' new spuds flowering now,so they're getting a regular comfrey 'tea' feed.The white courgette and crookneck squash you sent me are going mad now,and I am impressed with their vigour.I grow those in 5 gallon pickle barrels I get from the local Indian restaurant.They have handles on,and stand above the other pots so everything gets light.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

After this positive experience, it's given me more ideas than my peabrain can cope with. I'm having to write stuff down!
The plants in the pic are crookneck squash, they are in 12" pots, once they get going they crop really well, mine are just starting to get buds.
Great to hear yours are doing well. I'm looking forward to what the white courgette/marrows do. (TBH I'm not sure which they are)