Storing nuts

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Rebel Prepping

Storing nuts

Post by Rebel Prepping »

I am experimenting with homemade MRE's as something of a side project and i was wondering if anyone had experience storing nuts not in a freezer for extended periods? I was thinking of adding roasted peanuts into the MRE's. The Nuts would be sealed in a mylar bag with no moisture so would this be suitable to store them for 2 years+?
xplosiv1

Re: Storing nuts

Post by xplosiv1 »

Nuts contain oils which will over time, go rancid. It depends on how long you expect to keep them stored. I wouldn't be looking at nuts to last more than 2 years in mylar with oxygen absorbers and about 2 years in the freezer but that has a lot of cost attached to it (freezer space and power) . That's why nuts don't form any part of my long-term preps. If you can rotate them you could ok, but that means you need a steady diet of nuts from now on lol.

Dried fruit can last longer if you use an O2 absorber, but I wouldn't be looking to store anything with oils in it for very long.

The easiest way to figure out if something will store is to take a look at what the food storage companies are packing. They pack fruits but not nuts. If nuts could be stored long term, they'd pack them.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

This might help

http://www.eatbydate.com/proteins/nuts/ ... tion-date/

I've only just found that site..... Interesting and useful
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

This is an issue for me as well, as a vegetarian. I do buy big jars of peanut butter, which helps - but I haven't dealt with very long term storage yet.

That *is* a good website, thanks for that.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Completely unintentionally I stored some almonds off my tree for almost two years . Unintentionally because I picked them , took off the outer green flesh and put the uncracked nuts in a box and forgot about them :oops: . As I hadn't intended to store them I took no specific measures , they were just in an open topped biscuit box in the shed and when I eventually "discovered" them again had acquired a layer off wood dust from me working in there. Nothing ventured I thought and I cracked them open. About a quarter were spoiled and a few weren't properly formed but close to three quarters were edible .