Pasta:Cheap, Cheaper, Cheapest?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
ukpreppergrrl

Re: Pasta:Cheap, Cheaper, Cheapest?

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Brambles wrote:Not long ago some of us were lamenting the loss of Sainsburys basics dried milk, it was the best tasting dried skimmed milk, now it seems to be their basics instant mash that's gone :cry: another blow to my cupboards
Nooooooo!!! Just noticed this little gem of information!!! The mash too??? Why Sainsbury's, why??? :cry
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Arzosah wrote:[When I first found out about "prepping" rather than just being careful, I stocked a load of stuff I wouldn't normally buy...
So now, instead of durum wheat spaghetti at 19p per 500g, I store gluten free fusilli at £1.09 per 500g (and thats a really, really good price!). I also store a few tinned tatties, and I'm seriously thinking of adding quinoa - I feel better on a fairly high protein diet.

Jenny, as far as "whats the difference" - check it out. It probably comes down to size of spaghetti circumference too :mrgreen: how well does the sauce stick to it, how fast does it cook, whether you've stirred :mrgreen:
Thanks,
I get confirmation that for half the price, I'm getting more than half the quality. Maybe, though, I've been a bit silly-frugal.

I do indeed buy lots of prep foods that I wouldn't buy day to day, and yes, I've bought super cheap stuff. Current stock of pasta is about 25kg costing less than £20. I think I'll supplement that with some dearer stuff, now I have my basic survival stash. Surprising how many of my tins and jars are predominantly tomato based ( cooking sauces, soups, etc)

I wouldn't normally buy powdered milk or tinned potatoes or spam or corned beef and they are far from ordinary daily diet. But to me they are the cheaper and superior equivalent to 'mountain house dehdrated stuff which costs a LOT more per 100 kCals. and which is also not regular nosh.

One day, I'll post my stockpile list for wider scrutiny and suggestions.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:
Brambles wrote:Not long ago some of us were lamenting the loss of Sainsburys basics dried milk, it was the best tasting dried skimmed milk, now it seems to be their basics instant mash that's gone :cry: another blow to my cupboards
Nooooooo!!! Just noticed this little gem of information!!! The mash too??? Why Sainsbury's, why??? :cry
Asda Mash is good at 29p for 120g. It just went up by a penny. I do actually use it day to day for some quick nosh. Lob in some mustard, cheese and milk for much improvement.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jennyjj01 wrote:
Arzosah wrote:[When I first found out about "prepping" rather than just being careful, I stocked a load of stuff I wouldn't normally buy...
So now, instead of durum wheat spaghetti at 19p per 500g, I store gluten free fusilli at £1.09 per 500g (and thats a really, really good price!). I also store a few tinned tatties, and I'm seriously thinking of adding quinoa - I feel better on a fairly high protein diet.

Jenny, as far as "whats the difference" - check it out. It probably comes down to size of spaghetti circumference too :mrgreen: how well does the sauce stick to it, how fast does it cook, whether you've stirred :mrgreen:
Thanks,
I get confirmation that for half the price, I'm getting more than half the quality. Maybe, though, I've been a bit silly-frugal.

I do indeed buy lots of prep foods that I wouldn't buy day to day, and yes, I've bought super cheap stuff. Current stock of pasta is about 25kg costing less than £20. I think I'll supplement that with some dearer stuff, now I have my basic survival stash. Surprising how many of my tins and jars are predominantly tomato based ( cooking sauces, soups, etc)

I wouldn't normally buy powdered milk or tinned potatoes or spam or corned beef and they are far from ordinary daily diet. But to me they are the cheaper and superior equivalent to 'mountain house dehdrated stuff which costs a LOT more per 100 kCals. and which is also not regular nosh.

One day, I'll post my stockpile list for wider scrutiny and suggestions.
Once I realised I was a prepper and started looking into it (thank you to many on here) I adjusted what I ate a bit to give me the 'excuse' to store some stuff. Tinned meat etc being a big one, I also got into Fray Bentos too, all this stuff keeps for a long time so from time to time I'll have a 'bad' lunch of a tin of chicken in white sauce with dehydrated veg thrown in and either pasta or diced and shallow fried tatties. Bacon grill goes well with beans and the diced fried tatties too. While living off this long term wouldn't do you any favours with the doctor, every now and then works for me and gives me the excuse to rotate stuff too. Win/win. :D
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Deeps wrote:...from time to time I'll have a 'bad' lunch of a tin of chicken in white sauce with dehydrated veg thrown in and either pasta or diced and shallow fried tatties. Bacon grill goes well with beans and the diced fried tatties too. While living off this long term wouldn't do you any favours with the doctor, every now and then works for me and gives me the excuse to rotate stuff too. Win/win. :D
Yes, I do that too, not so much for rotation, but to familiarise myself with the more recent added shite, such as that Lidl bacon fry that I bought 11 tins of. I need to familiarise myself about how good or bad my stocks are and how to turn them into palatable meals. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised and it prompts me to buy more of a product, and sometimes it's sloppy stewed beef and I reaffirm my vow to never buy it again. or to try another brand :o)

Brambles

Post by Brambles »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:
It seems only certain stores are selling it. Mine isn't one of them. :roll:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Just to let everyone know. Sainsburys normal instant mash is awful. It's full of stuff, powdered and is supposed to taste 'buttered' I ordered some to try as I couldn't get the basics. I will not order it again.
I have to say, the flaked seems to be a better product than powdered. :roll:

I'll give Mr Mash a go, thnks J!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Brambles wrote:Just to let everyone know. Sainsburys normal instant mash is awful. It's full of stuff, powdered and is supposed to taste 'buttered' I ordered some to try as I couldn't get the basics. I will not order it again.

I believe MrMash is 89p in Home Bargains. That's one I've bought a few boxes of but not tasted yet :|

Brambles

Post by Brambles »

jennyjj01 wrote:
Brambles wrote:Just to let everyone know. Sainsburys normal instant mash is awful. It's full of stuff, powdered and is supposed to taste 'buttered' I ordered some to try as I couldn't get the basics. I will not order it again.

I believe MrMash is 89p in Home Bargains. That's one I've bought a few boxes of but not tasted yet :|
Thanks :) always happy to save, I use a lot of instant potato.