Pasta:Cheap, Cheaper, Cheapest?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
xplosiv1

Re: Pasta:Cheap, Cheaper, Cheapest?

Post by xplosiv1 »

Brambles wrote:It depends on how it's stored, Arwen. Somewhere on here I posted a link to the still tasty website, I'll post it again http://www.stilltasty.com

and there's defo a link to long term storage of foods on here somewhere. Try the LDS or Utah State University website, they are the experts in food storage.

I gave up the long term storage some years ago now and work on the rotation system. I still have the same amount stored, but it's used and it's everything we normally eat. In the long run it has saved a lot of money as I now don't have any waste by either by it going bad or we don't like it or (insert any other excuse) that sees it going to the food bank.
Like Arzosah, when I first started this prepping thing, I bough a shedload of the cheap stuff expecting to be able to have a jolly meal. A lot of it was miserable, a lot of it was henceforth consigned to room 101. The lesson learned was try before you buy(lots of it). Don't get me wrong, a lot of our day to day food is from Sainsbugs basics range, I store what we like to eat. Not long ago some of us were lamenting the loss of Sainsburys basics dried milk, it was the best tasting dried skimmed milk, now it seems to be their basics instant mash that's gone :cry: another blow to my cupboards.

As I said in my first reply, it really is personal preference. :P

I'm with you on that one, as far as "fresh" food goes I run a 3 month rotation, cans , pasta and anything else and I only buy what we eat normally.... for long term storage I have quite a bit of freeze dried stuff (25 year shelf life) that was expensive but when I compare it to my normal food shopping its almost on par on a month by month cost spend basis.

was in costco the other day they're selling 24x 415g Heinz Baked beans for £10 that's £3 cheaper than you'd the same quantity in Tesco. you can get cheaper brands but I'm a Heinz guy, no other bean for me lol.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

xplosiv1 wrote:
jennyjj01 wrote:
Arzosah wrote:[When I first found out about "prepping" rather than just being careful, I stocked a load of stuff I wouldn't normally buy...
So now, instead of durum wheat spaghetti at 19p per 500g, I store gluten free fusilli at £1.09 per 500g (and thats a really, really good price!). I also store a few tinned tatties, and I'm seriously thinking of adding quinoa - I feel better on a fairly high protein diet.

Jenny, as far as "whats the difference" - check it out. It probably comes down to size of spaghetti circumference too :mrgreen: how well does the sauce stick to it, how fast does it cook, whether you've stirred :mrgreen:
Thanks,
I get confirmation that for half the price, I'm getting more than half the quality. Maybe, though, I've been a bit silly-frugal.

I do indeed buy lots of prep foods that I wouldn't buy day to day, and yes, I've bought super cheap stuff. Current stock of pasta is about 25kg costing less than £20. I think I'll supplement that with some dearer stuff, now I have my basic survival stash. Surprising how many of my tins and jars are predominantly tomato based ( cooking sauces, soups, etc)

I wouldn't normally buy powdered milk or tinned potatoes or spam or corned beef and they are far from ordinary daily diet. But to me they are the cheaper and superior equivalent to 'mountain house dehdrated stuff which costs a LOT more per 100 kCals. and which is also not regular nosh.

One day, I'll post my stockpile list for wider scrutiny and suggestions.
where are you buying your "cheap" pasta as the Tesco stuff is alright in my book and you can get about 30kg for £20, I buy Corned beef, I normally hit up Costco for it. 24 x 340g cans for £19 thats a lot of protein (24.5g per 100g) and fat (13.5g per 100g) for less than £20.
Area 11

jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

xplosiv1 wrote:
where are you buying your "cheap" pasta as the Tesco stuff is alright in my book and you can get about 30kg for £20, I buy Corned beef, I normally hit up Costco for it. 24 x 340g cans for £19 thats a lot of protein (24.5g per 100g) and fat (13.5g per 100g) for less than £20.
Most of my pasta is straight spaghetti from the Tesco value range at 20p for 500g. I note however that Lidl sell similar for the same price but claim theirs is 100% durum wheat, I'm going to pick up an unopened box of 24 on Monday. 12kg of durum spaghetti for £4.80 How bad can it be? twirls and other shapes tend to be 30p or 40p for 500g. Still darned cheap survival rations by any measure. Price edging up in other supermarkets. 23p seems to be the new going rate.
I have trays of corned beef, spam and 'bacon fry. I don't particularly like the stuff, but I expect it's easier to catch that from my store cupboard than it will be to catch a rabbit or cat. Seriously.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

I have a funny feeling the long winter we've just had is really going to spike corn and wheat prices in a few months
Area 11

Deeps

Post by Deeps »

xplosiv1 wrote:I have a funny feeling the long winter we've just had is really going to spike corn and wheat prices in a few months
Balls, I prefer it to rice. :(
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Deeps wrote:
xplosiv1 wrote:I have a funny feeling the long winter we've just had is really going to spike corn and wheat prices in a few months
Balls, I prefer it to rice. :(
Fine by me! I'm a rice gal! ;) :D And rice seems to have come down in price in the last couple of years: when I started stocking in earnest about 6 years ago I could get basmati for £1 per kg, then that became impossible even when you spied special offers, the cheapest being about £1.15-£1.25 per kg. But now it seems £1 per kilo is quite easy to find again. Just acquired a 10kg bag for £9.99 from Tesco. To add to my 45kg already in stock :shock: I may be overstocking the rice :? but I just can't pass up £1 a kg bargain!! :lol: Anyhow...my point is...yes prices of staples can go up if there has been a bad harvest (I seem to recall discussion about bad rice harvests about 3 years ago) but once normal (normal, not good, just normal) harvests resume, and there's no reason to supposed they won't, then the prices come down again. Very little of my rice has been purchased above £1 a kg because it stores and I bought lots when it was cheap. I am now replenishing those stocks with more cheap rice in preparation for the next bad harvest. Or the apocalypse. Whichever happens first :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote:...Tesco value range at 20p for 500g. I note however that Lidl sell similar for the same price but claim theirs is 100% durum wheat, I'm going to pick up an unopened box of 24 on Monday. 12kg of durum spaghetti for £4.80 How bad can it be?
I had the price a bit wrong. The LIDL and Tesco 20p stuff was including soft wheat and Semolina. So I treated my future self with the far more expensive stuff: 24 packs of Lidl Durum Wheat spaghetti at 45p per 500g. I can live with the massive cost of £10.80 compared to £4.80 :)
Now to find some acceptable quality assorted jars/cans of sauce. Ideas anyone?
Hint Not Homepride sauces: They are vile.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jennyjj01 wrote:
jennyjj01 wrote:...Tesco value range at 20p for 500g. I note however that Lidl sell similar for the same price but claim theirs is 100% durum wheat, I'm going to pick up an unopened box of 24 on Monday. 12kg of durum spaghetti for £4.80 How bad can it be?
I had the price a bit wrong. The LIDL and Tesco 20p stuff was including soft wheat and Semolina. So I treated my future self with the far more expensive stuff: 24 packs of Lidl Durum Wheat spaghetti at 45p per 500g. I can live with the massive cost of £10.80 compared to £4.80 :)
Now to find some acceptable quality assorted jars/cans of sauce. Ideas anyone?
I stockpile passata, we use it in cooking anyway, the 500ml 'tetrapaks' keep for a long time and can be used to make your own sauces, assuming you have herbs etc too.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Deeps wrote:
jennyjj01 wrote:Now to find some acceptable quality assorted jars/cans of sauce. Ideas anyone?
I stockpile passata, we use it in cooking anyway, the 500ml 'tetrapaks' keep for a long time and can be used to make your own sauces, assuming you have herbs etc too.
Thanks. I never really considered that, but it seems good value for money and nicely compact to store at 70p or so per kilo. Will get some.
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/lidl-pri ... _500g.html
I have a lot of tubes of puree, which is more compact and lower space requirement but I'll give passata some space.

I notice my stock of sauces and canned stuff is dominated by tomato products, even most of my soups, baked beans etc seem tomato based. I must come up with a bit of variety if all that pasta and rice is to be tolerable if SHTF.

Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jennyjj01 wrote:
Deeps wrote:
jennyjj01 wrote:Now to find some acceptable quality assorted jars/cans of sauce. Ideas anyone?
Thanks. I never really considered that, but it seems good value for money and nicely compact to store at 70p or so per kilo. Will get some.
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/lidl-pri ... _500g.html
I have a lot of tubes of puree, which is more compact and lower space requirement but I'll give passata some space.

I notice my stock of sauces and canned stuff is dominated by tomato products, even most of my soups, baked beans etc seem tomato based. I must come up with a bit of variety if all that pasta and rice is to be tolerable if SHTF.
Most the supermarkets do it and the 35p stuff from Aldi and Asda is fine, give it a taste test to see if it works for you and yours. I rarely use the tinned tomatoes in bolog/chilli/pasta dishes now, I just use passata, whatever works for you. :D