Pasta:Cheap, Cheaper, Cheapest?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
ForgeCorvus

Re: Pasta:Cheap, Cheaper, Cheapest?

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Brambles wrote:And this where the personal preference comes in. :) You're obviously happy with the route you're taking Jen, so go with it, my system is different however, at the end of the day I don't think there is a wrong way. :P
This is the only 'Wrong way' :lol:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The last time my cupboards were that empty was before we unpacked when we moved in!! :lol: :lol:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

ForgeCorvus wrote:Image
OMG!! I feel all panicky just looking at that picture!!! :o I'm trying to tell myself to look at it a different way: "Yay...I've found some more space to store yet more food!" :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Image
Was it just me that had the urge to zoom in to see what was on this person's stock list.
Nom-Nom GloBalls. Staple food and full of fluorescent goodness.
I think every space and void in my home that is that big has at least 10kg of essential food ( or Jack Daniels ) in.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jennyjj01 wrote:Was it just me that had the urge to zoom in to see what was on this person's stock list.
Nom-Nom GloBalls. Staple food and full of fluorescent goodness.
I think every space and void in my home that is that big has at least 10kg of essential food ( Like Jack Daniels ) in.
FIFY ;)

As well as Glo-balls I'm seeing:
Quaker oats ( the 'instant' kind ?)
Part box of 'bagged' rice
Can of Sausages&beans
Can of Campbell's soup

And what I think might be an ant bait (the blue/grey thing in the bottom left corner).... At least they're taking their vermin control seriously :D

Gods! I'm such a sad bugger at times :oops:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Brambles wrote:I know this is all about filling bellies, but I've always considered food as a morale booster, not just fuel. My own personal thoughts are that if the world has gone to custard, something familiar and comforting on your plate could do wonders for making a situation more bearable. Hence I only store what we eat on a regular basis and make sure we eat what's stored, so there's no nasty surprises.
We all have our own preferences, I like using chopped tomatoes in cooking :D (sainsburys do their basics in a tetra pak) and like you itsy, I don't much care for the cheap pasta, neither do I much like Napolina but again, that's all down to preference.

I have two mottos to store by:- Try before you buy in bulk and rotate, rotate, rotate. :mrgreen:
YES! The Sainsbury Basics chopped tomatoes are fantastic for cooking with! I also like the Basics sweetcorn which is pretty good.

Waitrose and Marks and Spencer own brand pasta is also good. What are your pasta preferences?
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I like Sainsburys or M&S pasta:)

But I have to say, long term, pasta and rice isn't at the top of my list. My system does not include years' worth of anything. :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon