Pasta:Cheap, Cheaper, Cheapest?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jennyjj01

Re: Pasta:Cheap, Cheaper, Cheapest?

Post by jennyjj01 »

Deeps wrote: Most the supermarkets do it and the 35p stuff from Aldi and Asda is fine, give it a taste test to see if it works for you and yours. I rarely use the tinned tomatoes in bolog/chilli/pasta dishes now, I just use passata, whatever works for you. :D
Will get a few kilos, probably a case of 20 500g boxes . Odd that Lidl, Aldi are not cheaper than Tesco. I've only used passata in one sauce and had been dismissing it as too diluted, but it surely has its place.
Probably time to stock up some cooking wine :o)
My store cupboard is starting to look more appetising as I expand from the absolute staple foods. I'm starting to think up some ad-hoc survival recipe ideas to try out on the other half (not as food tolerant as me )
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Not a fan of cheap pasta. Sorry. And I've tried a lot of it.

I like Napolina, De Ceccio and, if I'm particularly flush, La Rustichella.

Little tip, though, if you put it in the pan with cold water and let the pasta start to warm with the water, it stops it sticking together. :mrgreen:
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I know this is all about filling bellies, but I've always considered food as a morale booster, not just fuel. My own personal thoughts are that if the world has gone to custard, something familiar and comforting on your plate could do wonders for making a situation more bearable. Hence I only store what we eat on a regular basis and make sure we eat what's stored, so there's no nasty surprises.
We all have our own preferences, I like using chopped tomatoes in cooking :D (sainsburys do their basics in a tetra pak) and like you itsy, I don't much care for the cheap pasta, neither do I much like Napolina but again, that's all down to preference.

I have two mottos to store by:- Try before you buy in bulk and rotate, rotate, rotate. :mrgreen:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Absolutely agree, horrible food is a misery - good food is a joy :mrgreen:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Brambles wrote:I know this is all about filling bellies, but I've always considered food as a morale booster, not just fuel. My own personal thoughts are that if the world has gone to custard, something familiar and comforting on your plate could do wonders for making a situation more bearable. Hence I only store what we eat on a regular basis and make sure we eat what's stored, so there's no nasty surprises.
We all have our own preferences, I like using chopped tomatoes in cooking :D (sainsburys do their basics in a tetra pak) and like you itsy, I don't much care for the cheap pasta, neither do I much like Napolina but again, that's all down to preference.

I have two mottos to store by:- Try before you buy in bulk and rotate, rotate, rotate. :mrgreen:
Totally agree, food and drink is as much a morale thing, especially in the short term. We can go without food for a while but you'll not be a happy camper trying to get to sleep on an empty stomach. Same with a hot drink, it can be a fuss if you're half way up a hill but sometimes worth it.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

Deeps wrote:
Totally agree, food and drink is as much a morale thing, especially in the short term. We can go without food for a while but you'll not be a happy camper trying to get to sleep on an empty stomach. Same with a hot drink, it can be a fuss if you're half way up a hill but sometimes worth it.
yup I'll agree with you there, even a cup of hot water half way up a hill is enough to get you going again.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Brambles wrote:...Hence I only store what we eat on a regular basis and make sure we eat what's stored, so there's no nasty surprises.
Agreed, However, I like fresh bread, real butter, cheese, fresh meat, restaurant food etc. I'm prepping for a scenario where not all those would be available and shelf life is mission critical, so assuming the freezer is offline, I necessarily stockpile some less tasty canned and dry stuff such as spam, corned beef, ghee, bacon grill, dried pulses, canned spuds, dried onions etc which I don't normally 'enjoy'
I do usually have two full freezers too, but storing much of the good fresh food might lead to too short a survival time.

That said, I realise that I can afford to push the boat out a lot more and should not penny pinch on what I do stock. I'm implementing stock rotation but some will inevitably end up being gifted to foodbank because I just don't eat that much rice, beans, pasta etc. They're not getting the Jack Daniels though :)

I have started a weekly 'eat from stock' day, to at least get some idea of what I can do with my weird foods.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jennyjj01 wrote: I'm implementing stock rotation but some will inevitably end up being gifted to foodbank because I just don't eat that much rice, beans, pasta etc. They're not getting the Jack Daniels though :)
Not trying to put you off giving to foodbanks but a lot of stuff is still good well past its sell by, I had pasta tonight that was 2 years out of date.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

And this where the personal preference comes in. :) You're obviously happy with the route you're taking Jen, so go with it, my system is different however, at the end of the day I don't think there is a wrong way. :P
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Deeps wrote: Not trying to put you off giving to foodbanks but a lot of stuff is still good well past its sell by, I had pasta tonight that was 2 years out of date.
LOL. It probably won't really go to foodbank as it would not even become eligible to be offered until at least 2 years past BBE Besides foodbanks are religion based and I cannot give to them on moral grounds. A homeless charity might one day get selected.

First of my stock has only recently 'expired' A few KG of powdered egg and some cereals. They still seem perfectly fine.
Most of the JD got rotated out of stock just in time. Fortunately now replenished at £15 a bottle.