I have fruit trees!

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Medusa

I have fruit trees!

Post by Medusa »

Whilst the wish list is to have an orchard it just isn't possible where I live now. I have just been gifted a dwarf apple tree M27 Discovery and a Pixie Victoria Plum tree. I am very excited even though it is unlikely we will get much if any fruit this year. Not enough to keep us fed for very long but it will be really nice to have fresh home grown fruit when the time comes. I also want to give the potato bags mentioned on this thread a go along with herbs and possibly some strawberries.
Growing old disgracefully!
Deeps

Re: I have fruit trees!

Post by Deeps »

We have one apple tree and over the years I've dehydrated apple slices to add to porridge etc, we've made cider and last year we tried apple wine which was a failure. The tree isn't massive but it gives us a lot of apples. Good luck with the potential orchard, enjoy the 'fruit' of your labours. :P
korolev

Post by korolev »

I had a couple of pear trees in my place in Devon. The wasps liked them so much they ate the lot (or at least enough of them to make them not very appetising)
Clarebelle

Post by Clarebelle »

if you have only planted them recently you might be better off removing any fruit which does set this year so that the tree puts its energy into establishing a good root system ready for next season.
Mick104

Post by Mick104 »

I have a small orchard with four 12 year old apple trees + Pear/ Plum and a useless Cherry .
Last year I planted two new Espaliers (apples) and I have a few more ordered for this spring .
Nearly all fruit trees can be bought as Espaliers or you could train your own .
Perfect for small gardens.
I have a friend with a town house, you could hardly swing a cat in his garden, yet he has six Espaliers, Apples and Plums all prolific fruiter's .
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

I do plan to plant a few fruit trees in our garden, but I am long way from that just yet. Am still in the planning stage as we have a largeish garden, but are very exposed to the wind. Need low bushes, trees and fencing to act as wind breaks, so need to plant the garden in 'defensive' layers.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
Clarebelle

Post by Clarebelle »

As you know Britcit, we are in the same boat. Although I am slowly trying to surround my property with an effective windbreak, this year I have decided to try growing a 'step over' fruit tree. My veg beds have a low (4') slatted fence around them to filter the wind a bit and to keep the chickens out. This year I plan to buy a maiden whip and train against the low fence. I'm hoping that the combination of being low to the ground and wind protection from the fence might actually give us a chance at an outdoor crop. Salt might still be a problem though
jansman

Post by jansman »

I will second espalier fruit trees.We have 3 apple,2 pear and a fan trained plum.They are 21 years old and so reliable.As Mick104 points out,they are great for small gardens.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.