Plastic

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Deeps

Re: Plastic

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote:Found that out some time ago. I used to just throw them in the compost but was constantly finding these little bits of mesh while digging. Ok so not the biggest problem in the world but when I realised what they were I started to dry them out and empty the tea leaves out. Course that did give ammunition to some of my friends as proof of my meanness , drying out teabags and all that . :D
:lol:

News to me too, we used to compost them but now put them in the food recycling as we don't compost in the back garden anymore. Everyday's a school day an' all that.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

omega man wrote:Interesting... I guess if this fast degrading packaging became common place, which as said would obviously be a good thing I'd probably treat myself to a good selection of those nice Sistema plastic pots/tubs/lids and decant into those prior to freeing, storage. Good quality plastic containers that can be reused countless times must surely be seen as a positive step in the right direction, if only a stepping stone on the way to a plastic free world?

OM
Don't buy Sistema - they look nice but they don't seal properly and are a bit rubbish really. Lock & Lock are much better with a good tight seal and a bit more robust, as well as a little cheaper, depending on where you buy them. Or if you want really fancy lunchboxes, have a look at Black and Blum - very nice but pricey.

I've spend a few quid on Lock & Lock and we now have a range for all sorts of volumes of leftovers and lunches and I'm happy to put very liquid-y leftovers into my work bag and not worry about leakage.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Deeps wrote:
grenfell wrote:Found that out some time ago. I used to just throw them in the compost but was constantly finding these little bits of mesh while digging. Ok so not the biggest problem in the world but when I realised what they were I started to dry them out and empty the tea leaves out. Course that did give ammunition to some of my friends as proof of my meanness , drying out teabags and all that . :D

News to me too, we used to compost them but now put them in the food recycling as we don't compost in the back garden anymore. Everyday's a school day an' all that.
You have food recycling?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote:
Deeps wrote:

You have food recycling?
Aye, its pretty good, they give us the biodegradable bags too (not enough though) and pretty much any food waste goes out. Our 'normal' household waste is minimal, paper and metal/plastic bear the brunt, I'll not mention the glass recycling.... :oops:
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

jansman wrote:You have food recycling?
Started that here too! The only things that goes in it are the cat's rejects and onion/garlic peelings. I rarely leave food on the plate :roll: and all other veggie peelings go into the wormery. I don't like to put too much onion in the wormery. Oh...and the lime skins when it's margarita night, the worms no like those either! :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

We have to put our food waste in the general waste nowadays . It used to be able to go into the garden waste bin until the council changed the rules , not that it made much difference to us. Vegetable waste goes into the compost and any bones and the like go on the wood burner . Breaks them down lovely into a crumbly powder that goes through the riddle and gets spread on the garden.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

We have a General waste bin (landfill) and a Recycling bin that are emptied on alternating weeks and a food waste bin that goes weekly.
Now we can use ordinary bags in the food caddy because the the council got a new machine that strips them out of the food waste, the old bio-deg bags* wouldn't last more then a couple of days before starting to break down and leaking yuk all over the place.
Most of ours is egg shells, t bags and the few things that none of the critters will eat..... We can't compost due to the rat problem :x

* At one point I had a plan to use bio-deg bags and either sawdust or the compacted wood cat litter as a waterless toilet system, until I saw just how fast they degraded
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

It is interesting how ' un- joined up' recycling is around the country isn't it? We try to avoid food waste at all costs.Waste of good food,and our money too! That's where attention to portion sizes kicks in.It takes a bit of learning.

It was brought home to me when we went to an Italian restaurant some years ago.The pasta dish I ordered was brought to me,and it did not look a lot.It was served with bread and salad also.I made a polite comment to the waiter and he smiled,and said that English people always thought that way.If I wanted more to eat,then I was welcome.Anyhow,I was stuffed with what was in front of me!My daughter said she found the same in Venice last year.Italians don't waste food.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote:It is interesting how ' un- joined up' recycling is around the country isn't it? We try to avoid food waste at all costs.Waste of good food,and our money too! That's where attention to portion sizes kicks in.It takes a bit of learning.

It was brought home to me when we went to an Italian restaurant some years ago.The pasta dish I ordered was brought to me,and it did not look a lot.It was served with bread and salad also.I made a polite comment to the waiter and he smiled,and said that English people always thought that way.If I wanted more to eat,then I was welcome.Anyhow,I was stuffed with what was in front of me!My daughter said she found the same in Venice last year.Italians don't waste food.
Its like when you go for a 'business lunch', I've looked at the portion and thought "cheeky gits" but by the time I've finished I'm stuffed. Eyes bigger than belly stuff. :lol: