Growing spuds with no garden

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Growing spuds with no garden

Post by jansman »

Here's a nice link for you,if you have no real garden space( as many do not these days),and it works too.

https://www.thompson-morgan.com/how-to- ... es-in-bags.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Trojanhorse

Re: Growing spuds with no garden

Post by Trojanhorse »

I have grown them in bags and thinking of trying in tyres!
jansman

Post by jansman »

I tried tyres.Mixed results- but if you have the tyres - try it.

Robert Frost.

Me.
jenny1

Post by jenny1 »

I've grown them in buckets for years. I usually get more than a meals worth from each bucket, although they are normally small. I don't have a big garden.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

I wouldn't grow them in tyres - too many nasty chemicals. I know permaculture loves tyres but don't forget Bill Mollinson grew up on Australian farms, every one of which had a pile of discarded tyres round the back, and they were pretty much an indigenous resource. If you want something safer and easier to get hold of and manipulate, I have grown spuds successfully in supermarket "bags-for-life" - the big ones that cost 50p at the till.

However, if I had little space, I'm not sure I'd grow spuds anyway - they are cheap and likely to remain so even if they double in price. Tomatoes, cucumbers, courgettes (or even better - pattypan squash), climbing beans, aubergines - will all take up the same footprint and arguably give you more value and/or pleasure. Climbing beans in particular are great (if you like beans) - easy to grow, vigorous, crop for ages, can be frozen, versatile in soups, curries, or straight veg - great starter crop.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I'm liking the guide from Thompson & Morgan, and liking this thread. And by next month, I might well be able to start actual growing, so this will be great.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote:I'm liking the guide from Thompson & Morgan, and liking this thread. And by next month, I might well be able to start actual growing, so this will be great.
Its a nice,easy way to understand the method isn't it? I have been forcing spuds in pots for years,and I thought it a nice way to share the idea.

If you have homemade compost,spuds chitting in the bottom of the sack and some bin bags ( and are REALLY cheap like me :lol: ) its summat for nowt! And it is a nice way of producing a carbohydrate.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Stuff the tyre carcasses with newspaper or straw it insulated the soil and you need less ;) also helps retain moisture
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

I'm thinking about trying some hessian sacks later this year, I normally use a small part of the garden to grow spuds anyway (1.5m x 7m ) last year I got the best part of 60kg out of it per harvest.

I'm just starting to chit my first lot for this year, I didnt grow over winter this year to give the soil a break.

normally over winter I'd cover the spuds with about 12 to 18 inches of leaves held down by netting, insulates them from the cold and when the leaves rot it nourishes the soil.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Some good ideas there! Its interesting how vegetable growing has moved ' outside the box' these last few years.The old accepted wisdoms are now being successfully challenged.

Robert Frost.

Me.