Vegetarians- what do you stock foodwise?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
katilea

Vegetarians- what do you stock foodwise?

Post by katilea »

I've been vegetarian for over 6 months now. I eat dairy, milk and eggs but not meat. I'd eat white fish (tinned mackerel) at a push if there was nothing else in a SHTF situation but prefer not to and don't eat any processed or red meats.

I found tinned vegetarian hot dogs on amazon which I thought be ok with pasta, tomatoes on a camping stove or with tinned potatoes and veg. I looked at camping foods but usually the chilli's and curries have meat. There seems to be only scrambled egg or I found one vegetarian breakfast but at nearly £5 a pouch I could make scrambled egg from tinned dried egg and the tinned sausage cheaper and get more meals out of them!

Anyone know if there's anywhere does these emergency/camping foods in a nut free environment? (SEVERE allergy to nuts like anaphylactic shock if I accidently ingest them) and have some vegetarian options??

Thanks

Kati
pseudonym

Re: Vegetarians- what do you stock foodwise?

Post by pseudonym »

I'm afraid the best way is to purchase a dehydrator and make your own.

Even on hiking forums, lightweight treking forums and the bushcraft forums the main consensus is to MYO.

You then control what goes into them.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
katilea

Post by katilea »

pseudonym wrote:I'm afraid the best way is to purchase a dehydrator and make your own.

Even on hiking forums, lightweight treking forums and the bushcraft forums the main consensus is to MYO.

You then control what goes into them.

I'd have no idea how to dehydrate an entire meal like a vegetarian curry or chilli? How would I do that to make a meal like you can buy and just add water to?
metatron

Post by metatron »

Being that meat isn't cheap and doesn't really store well for long term storage, with canning being the only sensible option, I'd think most peoples long term stores will be focused around, filling, healthy, long term options, like rice and dried beans, lentils, chickpeas, split pea's, barley and other items with good shelf life, like pasta and couscous.

This with a good selection of dried spices are cheap, filling and if cooked right tasty.

I eat meat, but I'd avoid canned meats as a daily option, even know I quite like spam. Visited South Korea, they love the stuff and have a lot of recipes.
katilea

Post by katilea »

I've found a dry GF veggie burger mix where you'd just add boiling water then leave it 15 mins, then shape into burgers. I have onion gravy granules so that could be done with those (so similar version of the tinned hamburgers in gravy) with tinned potatoes and veg or ... not sure if it would work but maybe could shape the mix round a kebab skewer to cook on a little disposable BBQ (outside), as its essentially a soya mix it should cook quickly and there's no issues with middle being raw etc?

I looked on Evaq site and their vegetarian 1 month supply is about £181!! (or was it £161?)..expensive anyway! but it does include puddings which I'm not too bothered about as I'd stock up on dried fruit, crisps, biscuits, tinned fruit etc for puddings. Individually there tubs £32-£35 for the veggie options.

I wouldn't bother with their scrambled eggs as can get dried whole egg powder cheaper off ebay to make scrambled egg with but thinking of maybe a tub each of veggie chilli or veggie curry (or veggie rice so I could add other stuff to it) for my stores.

Ebay has wayfarer camping meals for under £4 each and some veggie options though they don't give details of the ingredients, I don't know how long they last compared to freeze dried food?

I saw a big bucket of emergency food on Amazon (though it said out of stock sure can probably get one elsewhere) they also had a veggie option and the food in it keeps for about 20 years. I thought I'd seen tinned Tofu somewhere though never had it so no idea what it tastes like normally or whether the tinned version would be better or worse???
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

katilea wrote: I'd have no idea how to dehydrate an entire meal like a vegetarian curry or chilli? How would I do that to make a meal like you can buy and just add water to?

https://www.freshoffthegrid.com/backpac ... noa-chili/

http://www.thehippyhomemaker.com/diy-de ... ernatives/

https://www.trail.recipes/recipe-collection/vegetarian/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC5z6PSKlik

Loads more out there.

HTH
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
korolev

Post by korolev »

I've been a veggie for about 28 years, through choice rather than for dietary reasons (although I don't evangelise, if people want to eat meat thats thier choice.)
A couple of years ago my son was diagnosed as Coeliac so now we have to try and find stuff that's veggie AND gluten free.

I have tried all sorts of dehydrated veggie mince and the one we use now is Clearspring but I had a look on the packet and it says it's prepared in an environment where sesame seeds may be present so probably no use to you. All the supermarkets do veggie mince now, and there's always Holland & Barrett.

One advantage of veggie mince is that you can mix it with rice, chilli powder, salt, pepper and store the whole thing dry, then just stick in a pan, add water, a tin of kidney beans and a tin of tomatos and simmer it till the rice is soft.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Being vegetarian when fuel and maybe water are limited, you need some adaptations:
- tinned food, Asda do baked beans and veggie sausages https://groceries.asda.com/product/bake ... e/78494036
I don't know if its made in a nut free environment, sorry. But thats going to be a struggle, food firms seem to warn about nut environments constantly now, as a safeguard to themselves.

What about seeds? Do you problems extend to seeds? Pumpkin, linseed, sunflower, that sort of thing? It would be *really* worth knowing, because that makes your problem a *lot* easier to deal with.

Long life tofu (organic bean curd, ready to eat) is available, manufactured by Biona or Clearspring, is available from most supermarkets, and places like Holland & Barrett too.

Katilea, the *reason* you've become veggie is important - if its for your health, then just like non-veggie food, the pre-packaged stuff is full of artifical mono-tiddle glutamates. Not tofu, actually.

Other people should also be eating veg. and healthy carbs, but as veggies we need to watch where we get our protein from. So rice and lentils should usually go together, because their amino acids complement one another and they become a complete protein. The oils you use shouldn't be processed to death - I use cold-pressed olive oil, so that the micronutrients aren't mashed out of existence by the processes used to extract every last millilitre from the fruit, for instance.

I don't stock TVP or anything like it - I have a *lot* of dried beans and peas, plus a very good water filter, and I'll cook them up over a flame and then let them finish off in a haybox.

HTH
jansman

Post by jansman »

As with any other food storage system,whether you are vegetarian, vegan ,omnivore or downright carnivore; store what you eat.

My wife is semi vegetarian,so we have some very nice meals that include pasta,rice,lentils,and legumes.When you consider that half the world,at a rough guess,lives on rice,then that is a good place to start.

https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2017/11 ... ow-cooker/

https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2017/09 ... -4p-vegan/
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

I have tins of veggie ravioli plus packets of dried pasta 'n' sauce, cous cous and the like. I'm not veggie but I do enjoy veggie food. The tinned beans and veggie sausages are also ok. No idea about the environment in which they are produced, you would have to check with the manufacturer.