Vegetarians- what do you stock foodwise?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Deeps

Re: Vegetarians- what do you stock foodwise?

Post by Deeps »

katilea wrote:
pseudonym wrote:I'm afraid the best way is to purchase a dehydrator and make your own.

Even on hiking forums, lightweight treking forums and the bushcraft forums the main consensus is to MYO.

You then control what goes into them.

I'd have no idea how to dehydrate an entire meal like a vegetarian curry or chilli? How would I do that to make a meal like you can buy and just add water to?
If only there was any information on dehydrating meals on here.

Hud on, now I think about it......

Have a look on the dehydrating threads Katilea.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Also Youtube is a good resource@
katilea

Post by katilea »

korolev wrote:I've been a veggie for about 28 years, through choice rather than for dietary reasons (although I don't evangelise, if people want to eat meat thats thier choice.)
A couple of years ago my son was diagnosed as Coeliac so now we have to try and find stuff that's veggie AND gluten free.

I have tried all sorts of dehydrated veggie mince and the one we use now is Clearspring but I had a look on the packet and it says it's prepared in an environment where sesame seeds may be present so probably no use to you. All the supermarkets do veggie mince now, and there's always Holland & Barrett.

One advantage of veggie mince is that you can mix it with rice, chilli powder, salt, pepper and store the whole thing dry, then just stick in a pan, add water, a tin of kidney beans and a tin of tomatos and simmer it till the rice is soft.

I never thought of doing that!!! Great idea thanks! Wish there was an option to 'like' a post! :)
katilea

Post by katilea »

jansman wrote:As with any other food storage system,whether you are vegetarian, vegan ,omnivore or downright carnivore; store what you eat.

My wife is semi vegetarian,so we have some very nice meals that include pasta,rice,lentils,and legumes.When you consider that half the world,at a rough guess,lives on rice,then that is a good place to start.

https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2017/11 ... ow-cooker/

https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2017/09 ... -4p-vegan/

Yeah I have a slow cooker but I'm thinking more of supplies that can be stored for a year or more for a SHTF situation and maybe in a situation where there was no electricity for an ongoing period. I do make up meals and stick them in the freezer but again in an ongoing powercut I may lose some stuff from freezers (having to chuck it out if power is off for more than 24hrs), so I'm looking for 'emergency foods' , some that could be eaten cold (fuel would run out after a while and assuming no access to internet to order more).
jansman

Post by jansman »

My point there katilea was that the ' 5 minute bread' is just that.Made from stored food.The slow cooker recipe could be a haybox type cooker in an emergency.

In a grid down situation, life goes on.Even in Sarajevo and Beirut,and Syria now,folks still cook food.

You have a Kelly Kettle.That means you have an outdoor space to light it.You can buy an attachment that sits on top and you put a cooking vessel on top.Fuel is free,Bingo!
https://www.kellykettle.com/kettle-accessories
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.