Great Depression Foods

Post by itsybitsy »

Peanut butter stuffed onion, anyone?

http://prepperswill.com/great-depressio ... ve-famine/
Brambles

Re: Great Depression Foods

Post by Brambles »

Bleughhh. no thanks.

I'd rather make Onion soup and save the peanut butter for something else.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

Its a good link that! Tough times bring out the adaptability of folks.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

LOL, the last time I mentioned the depression and making food go further I was accused of not living in the real world because my mum could make a chicken last more than one meal. :roll: :P Badgers run I think it was. :lol:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

Joking aside,I guess economic depression takes many forms and you eat what you can get.There are folks struggling in the UK - and don't anyone start getting political! This lady knows a thing or two about eating what you can get: https://cookingonabootstrap.com.

Way back in 1985,I recall fishing a lake at Barton on Humber.There was a bus load of miners fishing there too.I went for a walk round and got chatting to a fella off that bus who had a bloody great deerhound lurcher lying at the back of him.We had common ground as we were anglers and I had my old collie lurcher at heel.We talked of fishing and working dogs,and I told him mine was a good rabbit dog,and he took the odd deer, with my help! I commented that the deerhound took a bit of room up.

The miner replied ," That dog can lie where he bloody well likes.He kept us and half the village fed during The Strike,and the only rabbits that bugger caught had woolly coats!"

Food is crucial, and in depressed times,even more so .

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote:Joking aside,I guess economic depression takes many forms and you eat what you can get.There are folks struggling in the UK - and don't anyone start getting political! This lady knows a thing or two about eating what you can get: https://cookingonabootstrap.com.
She's amazing as a food resource. Her recipes were analysed by a nutritionist in the early days, who commented that everything was there, in the right proportions, except that the portions were a bit small. But Jack is quite small, and her son was about two years old at the time, so it's understandable.
Way back in 1985,I recall fishing a lake at Barton on Humber.There was a bus load of miners fishing there too.I went for a walk round and got chatting to a fella off that bus who had a bloody great deerhound lurcher lying at the back of him.We had common ground as we were anglers and I had my old collie lurcher at heel.We talked of fishing and working dogs,and I told him mine was a good rabbit dog,and he took the odd deer, with my help! I commented that the deerhound took a bit of room up.

The miner replied ," That dog can lie where he bloody well likes.He kept us and half the village fed during The Strike,and the only rabbits that bugger caught had woolly coats!"
That's a good story :mrgreen:

The last person in my family to get food in in this way was my grandad, who died way back in 1970 - he worked on small boats on the Mersey (gigboats), helping the tugs get the ships' lines to shore, and he used to set crablines, and bring the crabs home still alive. That was before the river got cleaned up, so I hate to think of the pollution that was concentrated in the crabmeat, but it happened.

Pollution doesn't seem to matter when people are trying to cope with bad situations: when I was in Turkey in 1990, inflation was a couple of hundred per cent (bus fares doubled overnight, that sort of thing) and there were plenty of locals fishing from the Bosphorus Straits, with all those huge tankers going by, and no doubt plenty of sewers emptying into the Straits as well.
jansman

Post by jansman »

My late dad used to keep a catapult and a handful of pebbles in his pocket.As a binman in the 70's,one loader had to accompany the driver to the tip according to the rules. Whilst hanging around waiting,dad would often nail a rabbit with that catty.As Arzosah pointed out about what her grandad caught,god only knows what those rabbits fed on,but they got eaten!

The original post by itsybitsy is pretty timely,given rising costs of living,and we always seem to be in some kind of recession!

Robert Frost.

Me.