Growing food. I know NOTHING but want to.

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
korolev

Growing food. I know NOTHING but want to.

Post by korolev »

We're planning on moving this year and I'd like to get somewhere with a big enough garden to have a vegetable plot; nothing massive, just enough to grow spuds, onions, carrots and maybe some peas.
I say I know nothing but I did grow a row of spuds about 20 years ago but my late mum told me everything to do and when (I remember "earthing up").
Ideally I'd like to be able to grow enough to store the veg and have it last us all year but, again, I don't know the practicalities (the ones I grew before were so nice we scoffed the lot in about 4 weeks).

So... How big a plot (roughly) do I need to feed a family of 3 ?
Plymtom

Re: Growing food. I know NOTHING but want to.

Post by Plymtom »

I haven't the space nor back for it :lol: but like you I'd love a place with some ground to grow stuff in, I did used to grow herbs and pears at one point in my little yarden, but then I built a conservatory and reduced the size too far. I think the great thing about growing your own stuff is that you'd be inclined to try, and consume more fresh veggies, some of the TV cooks and indeed as it looks like a foody approach rather than an interest in gardening on it's own is where you're heading? I'd go to youtube, but there's a thread on allotments on here too which is inspiring.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Pete_59

Post by Pete_59 »

As far as how much space is needed try this site https://www.growveg.co.uk/guides/growin ... -a-family/ also think about vertical growing to better utilise the space you have https://waldenlabs.com/20-vertical-gardening-ideas/
jansman

Post by jansman »

In theory,you can feed a family from a standard allotment. That is roughly 250 square metres.BIG.Of course,you would have to eat seasonal food and preserve a lot too.But it is a task.

My advice would be to start small,and do it well. A wigwam of climbing beans or peas,Lettuce and spring onions.When they finish,bang in some Winter cabbage and so forth.

You will struggle to supply all your needs,but strive to provide an ingredient for a meal of two a week.All that time you will be learning,and from there expand.But keep it small to start.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Could I suggest you get a copy of the Readers Digest book Food From Your Garden. It's hands down the best gardening book showing everything from which tools to buy, what,when and how to sow, what yield to expect, how to dig and work the soil. I've had one for year and I still refer to it.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Pete_59

Post by Pete_59 »

Brambles wrote:Could I suggest you get a copy of the Readers Digest book Food From Your Garden.
Just ordered a copy, £2.80 on Ebay
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Pete_59 wrote:
Brambles wrote:Could I suggest you get a copy of the Readers Digest book Food From Your Garden.
Mine was one of my 18th birthday presents :shock: along with the Readers Digest book of DIY. My dad believed in useful prezzies. I did get a nice pearl necklace too, I hasten to add :D
I had to replace it when my ex binned it :evil:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
IainT

Post by IainT »

I echo jansman's advice - start with a small area and look after it will. Be wary of over ambition particularly when you start reading seed catalogues. I'd recommend Grow Your Own Vegetables by Joy Larkcom.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Brambles wrote:
Pete_59 wrote:
Mine was one of my 18th birthday presents :shock: along with the Readers Digest book of DIY. My dad believed in useful prezzies. I did get a nice pearl necklace too, I hasten to add :D
I had to replace it when my ex binned it :evil:
Being the devilishly suave and sophisticated citizen of the world that I am, I'll not make the obvious joke.....

Or explain it to those who won't get it.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »