Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
diamond lil

Re: powdered millk

Post by diamond lil »

Excellent thanks Brambles!
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Brambles wrote:That's the prob I have Lil. and Sainbugs basics milk is not only the cheapest, but tastes the best. The Morrisons milk is OK, but the sell by date is sep this year :roll: I hate Marvel with a passion and it's stupid overpriced.

Sainsbugs do have skimmed milk powder available. Next time I do a shop I'll get some and compare with the Morrisons.
Have been discovering the exact same issue! Loved the Sainsbury's Basics milk but that seems to have been abandoned. Thought they'd abandoned dried milk altogether as none of my local stores had any for over a month, but last week found the standard dried milk in stock again. In the meantime I trekked all the way to my nearest Morrisons (not many stores in London) on a bus and like you found that their milk powder has an extremely short BBE date: though I don't know if that is them being ultra conservative and with proper storage it'll be fine for 10 years, or if it's old stuff!

Slightly hijacking the thread....bacon grill!!! Lidl seem to have stopped doing it, Sainsburys and Tesco both sell the Tulip brand but it's smaller tins @ 250g. My trip to Morrisons did bring up their own brand @ 300g so I bought some but haven't tried it yet. Chaaaaaaaaange!!!! :(
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Can't help you with the Bacon Grill, I'm a SPAM girl myself :D But I'll keep it in mind and check next time I'm out.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Pretty sure I've seen the bacon grill in some of the cheapy shops, can't say how recently though.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Home Bargains and Poundland do the bacon grill.Lovely!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

I never use dried milk but I feel like as a good prepper I should have some in the house! :?
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

itsybitsy wrote:I never use dried milk but I feel like as a good prepper I should have some in the house! :?
I'm the same, got some because it could be handy but not galloons of it (think the packet makes 22L which should be plenty). When it goes too far out of date I'll get another one.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Itsy if you get 14ft of snow next week and it lies until the end of March and you run out of milk for coffee.... :shock: :shock: better get some quick!
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

diamond lil wrote:Itsy if you get 14ft of snow next week and it lies until the end of March and you run out of milk for coffee.... :shock: :shock: better get some quick!
Well, I did to go my Sainsbugs Local last night, the one at the end of the street, and there's plenty of long-life - so i'm gonna duck back in there tomorrow and get a few pints, just in case the civilised world grinds to a halt with the onset of snowmageddon! :lol:
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

If I ever run out of milk for my tea then the civilised world is definitely going to end, and horribly. :twisted: