powdered millk

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
PreppingPingu

powdered millk

Post by PreppingPingu »

I threw out my stored powdered milk as it was out of date and that is one dried thing that isn't good to use post date. Went to Sainsbury's to grab some more as I feel that is a prepping essential but they only seem to stock the really expensive Cadbury Marvel powdered milk now. What powdered milk do any of you store and where do you get an inexpensive supply from? Ta!
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Brambles

Re: powdered millk

Post by Brambles »

Well you've just depressed me! Sainsburys Basics powdered milk was my default skimmed milk powder. :( I store and use Nido whole milk as well, so I will have to do a search for skimmed milk.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Say whaaaaaat?? They've stopped selling their own brand dried milk now too?? I used to store Sainsbury's Basics dried milk as I actually liked it the best, and it was much, much cheaper than everything else, but they stopped selling that about 9 months ago. So now I get the Sainsbury's own, or I used to! :o Checking online....nope...no sign of their own brand milk powder, only Nataco (£2 for 300g), which I have no experience of, but will get if that's all there is! Just a heads up, I notice there's no Marvel listed online either...perhaps your store has old stock?

I also have been buying Tesco's own (£2.00 for 340g) which is ok. I did get some Nestle Nido from Tesco back when it was reduced to £3.00 for 400g (normally £3.75), expensive but it is in a nice tin and is full cream rather than skimmed I think! But I haven't tried it yet.

Looks rather like dried milk powder is not popular enough for shops to sell any more.... checking online Asda and Morrisons only seem to sell Nido and Waitrose sells no dried milk powder at all. When I was originally testing all the dried milks available to me a few years ago I was told that Aldi's was excellent, but they'd stopped selling it by then. Ominous... :tinfoil

EDIT: just checking availability and prices on Amazon and it seems Morrisons sells its own brand dried milk there @ £1.88 for 300g - they do sell it on their own website too, but it's currently out of stock which is why it didn't appear.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Nido for me too.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
unsure

Post by unsure »

last lot i stocked up on came from ,, of all places,,, the pound shop . no idea on weight of the tin but at a pound a go it was worth it . i should say it was marvel
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Good grief! As a vegetarian, dried milk is the only animal protein that can be stored in my foodcupboard easily (no cans of meat/tuna for me, sadly :( ). I have a local pound shop, I'll check there as soon as I can.

Pingu, why shouldn't powdered milk be used after the best before date, please? Even though we're supposed to eat what you store, store what you eat, etc etc, I don't use a huge amount of dried milk, and I store more, so I'm currently eating my way through some ood stuff. There may be an "oops" to go along with that sentence ...
Pete_59

Post by Pete_59 »

I'm currently using some Tescos own brand dried milk with a BBE date of May 2012, seems perfectly fine to me.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

thanks for your replies. It may be just my Sainsbury's, though it is quite a large edge of town one but it did undergo a refit a few months back and quite a few lines disappeared. I am hoping that the milk may just be a re fit casualty!

As for the out of date dried milk, I found the Sainsbury's basic range often did develop an off, slightly rancid odour when it was opened about a year out of date but the basics range had a basic packaging so maybe it was a little porous and so hand't stored well? But that is why I avoid out of date dried milk - i figured there may a risk of stomach upset. How ever I read somewhere that you should be ok 2-10 years past its exp date if stored and sealed correctly. So I recon if I bought better quality packaged powdered milk it would be ok!
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

PreppingPingu wrote:thanks for your replies. It may be just my Sainsbury's, though it is quite a large edge of town one but it did undergo a refit a few months back and quite a few lines disappeared. I am hoping that the milk may just be a re fit casualty!

As for the out of date dried milk, I found the Sainsbury's basic range often did develop an off, slightly rancid odour when it was opened about a year out of date but the basics range had a basic packaging so maybe it was a little porous and so hand't stored well? But that is why I avoid out of date dried milk - i figured there may a risk of stomach upset. How ever I read somewhere that you should be ok 2-10 years past its exp date if stored and sealed correctly. So I recon if I bought better quality packaged powdered milk it would be ok!

Or repackage it yourself by vac sealing maybe ?
unsure

Post by unsure »

PreppingPingu wrote:thanks for your replies. It may be just my Sainsbury's, though it is quite a large edge of town one but it did undergo a refit a few months back and quite a few lines disappeared. I am hoping that the milk may just be a re fit casualty!

why not repackage it in mylar , that way you know its in decent package that will last .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .