powdered millk

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
ukpreppergrrl

Re: powdered millk

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

PreppingPingu wrote:How ever I read somewhere that you should be ok 2-10 years past its exp date if stored and sealed correctly. So I recon if I bought better quality packaged powdered milk it would be ok!
From PrepardnessMamma (though it matches what I've read elsewhere including the LDS book):
"Both instant and non-fat powdered milk have a shelf life of up to 20 years if stored in a cool location with an average temperature below 75 degrees. If storage temperatures are higher, rotate products as needed to maintain quality. Powdered milk is subject to oxidation, which will create an off flavor that most people find distasteful."

https://preparednessmama.com/store-powdered-milk/

Oxygen, moisture and temperature are the enemy....as with most food storage! Also note quoted on this page is that light is an issue with milk powder too, so storing in vacuum sealed Kilner/Mason jars is ok so long as they are in the dark. Or stick with vacuum sealed Mylar bags.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Well, out of interest I popped into LIdl, Tesco, Home Bargains and B&M while out earlier and only Tesco had dried milk, Marvel and their own brand equivalent. Everywhere else had planty of long life milk. I think further investigating and maybe a lookee in a few Asian supermarkets may produce some results. Bit disappointed really
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
raz

Post by raz »

Its been mentioned a couple of times already but Nido is the only powdered milk that I actually like and its sold in pretty much every supermarket here.. if ur having trouble finding it round urs u can order it on line easy enough :)
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I just did an online order to Asda, and completly forgot about this :oops: Checking back, they do Nido, and they also do their own dried skimmed milk, about two thirds cheaper by weight (didn't go through the whole thing of how much powder is used per pint/litre etc etc). Nido is full fat, and the ingredient is very, very impressive: milk powder, and soya lecithin as the emulsifier. Though even the Asda basic has a Red Tractor sign. I have quite a lot in stock, so I shan't be getting any more yet, but I'll be stocking up properly for *next* winter :mrgreen: nice and fresh.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Morrison's had small bags of powdered skimmed in tonight locally
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Morrison's had small bags of powdered skimmed in tonight locally
Lol, you beat me to it I was about to post this. I've placed a Morrisons order for delivery including Nido and the skimmed stuff. I keep Nido for drinking and the skimmed for cooking. :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I've been using up my stash of Sainsbugs dried milk, wee bit sad that it's becoming harder to find. Nido is lovely but when you get through as much milk as we do then it's going to work out very dear.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

That's the prob I have Lil. and Sainbugs basics milk is not only the cheapest, but tastes the best. The Morrisons milk is OK, but the sell by date is sep this year :roll: I hate Marvel with a passion and it's stupid overpriced.

Sainsbugs do have skimmed milk powder available. Next time I do a shop I'll get some and compare with the Morrisons.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

theother thing I miss is UHT tinned cream - used to be able to get that and add it to skimmed milk powder to make it taste creamier, but you don't seem to get tinned cream any more.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

diamond lil wrote:theother thing I miss is UHT tinned cream - used to be able to get that and add it to skimmed milk powder to make it taste creamier, but you don't seem to get tinned cream any more.
Aha! I can help you there.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs ... cream-170g

I keep some as well. :D