whole wheat grain

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Stonecarver

whole wheat grain

Post by Stonecarver »

Does anyone grind their own grain to make bread etc. If so where do you get grain from
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Brambles

Re: whole wheat grain

Post by Brambles »

It's a step too far for me, but I do have these bookmarked from when I was looking into it. I have no experience with them so maybe do a bit of research.

https://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/products/or ... grain-25kg

https://www.bakerybits.co.uk/the-priors ... grain.html

http://www.browfarmonlinestore.co.uk/pr ... ing_wheat/
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Ok thanks Brambles
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I have some re-enactor friends near Welshpool who as part of their display grind , process and bake . They have the "luxury" of having a permanent site on an estate which provides the wheat and also the clay for the oven and the wood to fire it. The grinding is done between two stones which if I remember correctly are around 16" in diameter one on top of the other. When we were down there we had a go at the grinding . We at the time had a portable bread oven so it seemed only logical to go that extra little bit. I've got the stone ready and waiting on the "jobs to do list" to make a set of grinding stones of our own but as yet haven't done anything with them. That might be because it's quite a slow , long process not to mention surprisingly hard work turning the stone by hand ( via a vertical handle in the top stone) while periodically dribbling in a small handful of grain. It takes quite a time to make enough for a loaf. Then if one wants white bread the sieving further reduces the yield and increases the amount of labour involved.
I wouldn't say it's something that is or should be a vital part of a preppers arsenal and it's not something that takes a lot of learning and certainly wouldn't be really necessary in all but the worst of situations but having the wherewithal to do it can't really be seen as a bad thing.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Quern, the historical way to do it

Hand Mill, a better option

I don't think we grow much wheat for bread flour in this country
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Queen , that's the one . Virtually identical to the one I used and yes modern alternatives are much less work. And I think you're right about the wheat grown over here. If I recall correctly most European wheat is softer than the American varieties and while it can be used for bread it's better for things like biscuits.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

I prefer the electric mill route although handmill would be handy to have as backup
Jansman
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I don't think anyone would argue that electric is a much better , quicker and less hard work approach. Hand powered really is for a long term grid down situation unless one has a method of generating power and that power can be spared from other uses. Like a lot of prepping it's debatable whether setting up the wherewithal to grind ones own flour is cost effective in relation to buying ready milled flour although it certainly ups the smugness factor.
This thread has made me wonder just how much grain and more specifically flour is stored at any one time in this country?