Jerusalem Artichokes

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Plymtom

Re: Jerusalem Artichokes

Post by Plymtom »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:The word "little" in the context of "windy" does not do them justice! I stopped growing them because of it,

In recent years I have had to become more cautious with the classic ""windy" foods baked beans in particular because if I have too many it becomes painful trapped wind, I suppose it would vary for different foods, pulses being the most dangerous, I cant say I have ever tried Artichokes and after reading that they have this effect I'm doubting I ever will..... too risky.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

My wife says there are only two things that make me fart,

Everything I eat and everything I drink :oops:
Though I'm sure she's considered adding everything I breathe to that list.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote:My wife says there are only two things that make me fart,

Everything I eat and everything I drink :oops:
Though I'm sure she's considered adding everything I breathe to that list.
Nothing wrong with the trouser trumpet, there may well be a point where farts stop being funny (maybe when they start getting damp :o ) but I've not reached that point yet. The 'pull my finger' gag being a particular fave. :D
piglet

Post by piglet »

Planted 6 tubers in pots last year.
Got 56 tubers back.
ain't settlin'
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

ooh...timely! I planted 6 tubers in pots earlier this week. As a bonus, I reused the compost that had been used to grow my Christmas potatoes - I thought I'd got out all the spuds but no, there was another kilo of them hiding away! :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
jansman

Post by jansman »

Good find of spuds there! I have just retrieved a few artichokes as my wife is making a curry. They go well in lieu of potatoes. I keep popping a few in my dog walking jacket, along with a trowel, as I am guerilla gardening with them in our locale.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I find I have a *lot* of huge plastic flowerpots, that I originally bought for another purpose. And I've got some clear land I could put them on. Couple of questions:
- how much sun do they need?
- when do you crop them? I'm away for two weeks in June, and watering containers always seems to be an obstacle.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote:I find I have a *lot* of huge plastic flowerpots, that I originally bought for another purpose. And I've got some clear land I could put them on. Couple of questions:
- how much sun do they need?
- when do you crop them? I'm away for two weeks in June, and watering containers always seems to be an obstacle.
They are called ‘Sunchokes’ in the USA, as they are related to sunflowers. A reasonable amount of sun is good, but they grow up to 10’, so find it themselves. Watering your pots...they will survive two weeks, even in Summer. They are tough! They crop from November onwards, up until the end of February or so. If you have a patch of ground then be absolutely sure that’s where you want them, as a single scrap of tuber will regrow, and they are so prolific that you WILL miss tubers when digging them up! They are a perfect permaculture crop, as I crop the foliage during Summer to feed to my fowls and rabbits too.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Clarebelle

Post by Clarebelle »

I am planning on planting Jerusalem artichokes for the first time this year. I am hoping that the fact that they are usually so prolific elsewhere that they will cope with the weather here and at least produce a decent crop
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Jansman, thanks for that, this is very good news! I could do one set in the ground (as I posted previously on this thread, my soil is very, very clay-y, but I've done quite a bit of work on it since then), and one set in a container at the front. That does get some sun, but it would be experimental. It's at the front of my garden gate, so during that two weeks absence (which is more like 16 days) a kindly neighbour who's offered to help in other ways would chuck a bucket of water over them. And my niece has a pet rabbit, maybe he'll like the leaves :)

Very pleased with this! Jerusalem artichokes, kale, my new sets of chives are budding flowers, it's coming together.