Jerusalem Artichokes

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
piglet

Re: Jerusalem Artichokes

Post by piglet »

Arzosah wrote:I could do one set in the ground (as I posted previously on this thread, my soil is very, very clay-y, but I've done quite a bit of work on it since then.
I have the same soil type, mostly clay and sandstone.... trees and brambles are just about all that will grow there.

I also planted a couple of tubers in the garden. They did not grow well, only about 3 feet high and did not flower.
I did not attempt to take a harvest and will wait and see if they produced any tubers and return this year.
If that is the case, then maybe they will spread and in time create enough plants to produce a reasonable sized crop?
ain't settlin'
ukpreppergrrl

Re: Jerusalem Artichokes

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

ukpreppergrrl wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:41 am ooh...timely! I planted 6 tubers in pots earlier this week. As a bonus, I reused the compost that had been used to grow my Christmas potatoes - I thought I'd got out all the spuds but no, there was another kilo of them hiding away! :D
So I've discovered something new this year. Tiny spuds that are only 1cm or less in diameter DO have eyes! :shock: I left the tiny, tiny spuds in the compost (or rather I overlooked them more likely!) assuming they were too small to sprout and that they'd just rot down. But no! Coming up between my Jerusalem Artichokes are several potato plants! Looking forward to seeing if they actually produce any spuds at the end of the season :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb