And sow it begins.

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Brambles

Re: And sow it begins.

Post by Brambles »

Oh Yes! Was looking at tree onions a while ago, always happy to rehome extras! :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

Brambles wrote:Oh Yes! Was looking at tree onions a while ago, always happy to rehome extras! :)
I won't forget. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote:
Deeps wrote:
jansman wrote:Gardening! You have leaf miner,I have white rot.I grow Japanese onions which seem to evade this- but they are not for keeping. My perennial onions seem to be resistant - but they are not bulb onions such as we are accustomed to.
As a novice, what are the non bulb onions ? I can only think of chives as a sort of non bulbous onion. Just curious and wondering if its something I can suggest to Her Maj.
Chives are a good example Deeps.I grow Welsh onions and Egyptian Tree Onions.They are both perennial,as are the chives.Spring onions are also a good example of non- bulbing onions too.

Next year its possible I may have a surplus of Egyptian onion sets so maybe I can pass a few on to you Deeps.You too Brambles! :D Here is an all important linkie!

http://www.egyptianwalkingonion.com
Yes please mate, much appreciated I'll have a nose, I'll point the missus towards them too.
jansman

Post by jansman »

It'll be next Summer,( provided the crop comes in),but they are worth doing.You cannot beat perennials.

Another good one is garlic chives.I have a recent aversion to garlic ( smell -wise) but these are mild and great for stir fry food.Don't bother with seed.Buy a plant from a nursery and divide it.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote:It'll be next Summer,( provided the crop comes in),but they are worth doing.You cannot beat perennials.

Another good one is garlic chives.I have a recent aversion to garlic ( smell -wise) but these are mild and great for stir fry food.Don't bother with seed.Buy a plant from a nursery and divide it.
I've suggested to Her Maj that we go to the allotment on saturday morning (friday night football this week) and I've told her the 'zombie pals' have been getting ready for next season and she needs to "up her game". :lol:
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I haven’t planted anything, but I did notice yesterday that one of the raspberry plants that I planted in spring has raspberries on it, I think it’s got a bit confused!
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Jamesey1981 wrote:I haven’t planted anything, but I did notice yesterday that one of the raspberry plants that I planted in spring has raspberries on it, I think it’s got a bit confused!
They could be an Autumn fruiting variety. I had some at my previous plot that would fruit through to Christmas, weather permitting.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Brambles wrote:
Jamesey1981 wrote:I haven’t planted anything, but I did notice yesterday that one of the raspberry plants that I planted in spring has raspberries on it, I think it’s got a bit confused!
They could be an Autumn fruiting variety. I had some at my previous plot that would fruit through to Christmas, weather permitting.
Im just surprised they’re actually raspberries, they came from Poundland and two of the roses I bought are completely different to the variety that was on the pack, no big deal though, they match and they’re actually really pretty Japanese roses that give nice rose hips and the petals have good flavour too, so I actually prefer them to the ones I thought I was getting!
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I will be setting out strawberries in the greenhouse later,ready for forcing in late Spring.Always a nice treat.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Jamesey1981 wrote:
Brambles wrote:
Im just surprised they’re actually raspberries, they came from Poundland and two of the roses I bought are completely different to the variety that was on the pack, no big deal though, they match and they’re actually really pretty Japanese roses that give nice rose hips and the petals have good flavour too, so I actually prefer them to the ones I thought I was getting!
LOL, I call them lucky dip plants, as you're never quite sure what you're going to get. I bought a Philadelphus, but got a Deutzia. :shock: :lol: Last time I buy a stick! :lol: :lol: