And sow it begins.

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Brambles

And sow it begins.

Post by Brambles »

Pun intended :mrgreen:

The first of next seasons crops are in. Garlic planted today in pots. These are bulbs I saved from this year's crop they are keeping well and are a nice mild, but tasty variety.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Re: And sow it begins.

Post by Deeps »

I'll push Her Maj into getting started, she'll need something to distract her, she's got some time off coming and I don't want her harshing my (and the dugs) mellow.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Well done Brambles.Sign of a true gardener ,year-round sowing.I have broad beans in pots and Japanese onions.I don't grow garlic anymore.We buy it in those squeezy tubes, as over the last year I have developed a real dislike( turns my guts tbh) for the 'rawness' of fresh garlic when peeling and chopping.That's me though! :(
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Taking a cue from the old guard at the allotment, they don't sow autumn Broad Beans, they say it gets too wet here and the seed rots but I might sow some in pots anyway or I'll get them in pots in feb. :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

Their advice bears out my experience. Fortunately I have the poly tunnel to grow the few I like to eat.Otherwise,pots is the way to go I reckon.Gives you a real headstart in Spring.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

It's taking a bit of time getting used to new conditions. I have a few things to change next season.

1) don't plant out onions until end of May to avoid Onion leaf miner :evil: I lost my whole crop this year.
2) have cloches ready for winter squash in case of cool weather or grow in polytunnel
3) Start Garlic in pots to avoid Onion leaf miner.
4) Sow Broad Beans in pots in feb
jansman

Post by jansman »

Gardening! You have leaf miner,I have white rot.I grow Japanese onions which seem to evade this- but they are not for keeping. My perennial onions seem to be resistant - but they are not bulb onions such as we are accustomed to.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote:Gardening! You have leaf miner,I have white rot.I grow Japanese onions which seem to evade this- but they are not for keeping. My perennial onions seem to be resistant - but they are not bulb onions such as we are accustomed to.
As a novice, what are the non bulb onions ? I can only think of chives as a sort of non bulbous onion. Just curious and wondering if its something I can suggest to Her Maj.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Gardening is impossible at the moment :( builders are here, which is wonderful :D but the dust from drilling out the old mortar has to be seen to be believed :o I'm keeping well away from that. And they need space for the scaffolding, of course, so the stuff that was stored on my patio was temporarily stored on my plants. *Right* on them :( I moved the stuff, but the plants are very squished. I'm so looking forward to edibles from perennials :)

I rescued some garlic bulbs last week from where I knew the building work would be going - didn't want to dry them out at this stage, so they went into a plantpot and got covered with potting soil - you *might* say I've started planting for next year :mrgreen:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Deeps wrote:
jansman wrote:Gardening! You have leaf miner,I have white rot.I grow Japanese onions which seem to evade this- but they are not for keeping. My perennial onions seem to be resistant - but they are not bulb onions such as we are accustomed to.
As a novice, what are the non bulb onions ? I can only think of chives as a sort of non bulbous onion. Just curious and wondering if its something I can suggest to Her Maj.
Chives are a good example Deeps.I grow Welsh onions and Egyptian Tree Onions.They are both perennial,as are the chives.Spring onions are also a good example of non- bulbing onions too.

Next year its possible I may have a surplus of Egyptian onion sets so maybe I can pass a few on to you Deeps.You too Brambles! :D Here is an all important linkie!

http://www.egyptianwalkingonion.com

Robert Frost.

Me.