And sow it begins.

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Re: And sow it begins.

Post by jansman »

That will be interesting Brambles. Let us know how you get on. Sweet potatoes are a favourite of Mrs J.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

jansman wrote:That will be interesting Brambles. Let us know how you get on. Sweet potatoes are a favourite of Mrs J.
Will do. :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Finally got around to planting out most of the seedlings into their final locations (mostly self-watering pots - I am very urban!). Quite a few were looking close to expiration having exhausted the space in their tiny seed pots! I've run out of compost, but refuse to go to a garden centre over the bank holiday! The pak choi will have to wait until later in the week. Most of it seems to have been eaten by snails ayway :evil: Have also prepared the bed where the asparagus seedlings are to go: chicken poo, blood fish and bone, manure and compost all watered down well and covered with old greenhouse mesh shelving to discourage the local moggies and squirrels from digging it up. Feeling a little anxious about them now: they're looking healthy but they're all in an old takeaway plastic tray - I tend to use them as small seed trays! This means I'm going to have to rip apart their roots. :shock: Experience has shown it is usually better to do this sooner rather than later! The tenderstem, having not changed in appearance for about 4 weeks, has suddenly put a spurt on and several are now producing a flower stalk, which I have to pinch out in order to encourage side shoots. A tasty if tiny stir fry awaits! :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:Finally got around to planting out most of the seedlings into their final locations (mostly self-watering pots - I am very urban!). Quite a few were looking close to expiration having exhausted the space in their tiny seed pots! I've run out of compost, but refuse to go to a garden centre over the bank holiday! The pak choi will have to wait until later in the week. Most of it seems to have been eaten by snails ayway :evil: Have also prepared the bed where the asparagus seedlings are to go: chicken poo, blood fish and bone, manure and compost all watered down well and covered with old greenhouse mesh shelving to discourage the local moggies and squirrels from digging it up. Feeling a little anxious about them now: they're looking healthy but they're all in an old takeaway plastic tray - I tend to use them as small seed trays! This means I'm going to have to rip apart their roots. :shock: Experience has shown it is usually better to do this sooner rather than later! The tenderstem, having not changed in appearance for about 4 weeks, has suddenly put a spurt on and several are now producing a flower stalk, which I have to pinch out in order to encourage side shoots. A tasty if tiny stir fry awaits! :D
Double 'Prepper Points' for serving up Pak choi stuffed Mendip Wallfish ;)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

ForgeCorvus wrote:Double 'Prepper Points' for serving up Pak choi stuffed Mendip Wallfish ;)
All organic of course! It's a tough one...do I encourage a renewable source of protein for when times are tough? The problem being during good times, when I can just pop down to Aldi for a fine rump steak any time I like, they scoff all the veggies I was saving for myself :evil: Of course they'd be scoffing my veggies post-apocalypticly too, but at least that would be a trade off! Having lost vast swathes of veggies to the slimy ones last year I've made a concerted effort this year to...ahem...deal with them in an organic, humane, bird friendly way. But still they got me bean seedlings and me pak choi! They've even been attempting to scoff the onions :shock: They have good taste that's for sure...and they're probably naturally very tasty themselves too by now!
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
jansman

Post by jansman »

One 'prep' I keep on top of is slug pellets. I don't use many; just enough to protect seedlings.In a shtf situation my food plants will need all the help they can get.I believe it is called a Force Multiplier.

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

FB13B2B8-2661-4BDE-9ED0-B731F90C0F2A.jpeg
My mushroom kit has worked! It’s more a curiosity than an economic choice.

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Does that appear sideways to everyone else? I posted that from my phone (where the photo was) and it views ok.On my tablet it's sideways!

Robert Frost.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Doesn't matter J we can still see those magnificent Mushrooms!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

Brambles wrote:Doesn't matter J we can still see those magnificent Mushrooms!
I'll take pictures on the tablet.That seems to work.

Robert Frost.

Me.