And sow it begins.

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
ukpreppergrrl

Re: And sow it begins.

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Jamesey1981 wrote:Im just surprised they’re actually raspberries, they came from Poundland and two of the roses I bought are completely different to the variety that was on the pack, no big deal though, they match and they’re actually really pretty Japanese roses that give nice rose hips and the petals have good flavour too, so I actually prefer them to the ones I thought I was getting!
Yes sometimes Poundland comes up trumps. I bought a red gooseberry "twig" from there about three years ago on a whim and stuck it in a space in the garden. This year it produced its first gooseberries - all two of them. My father and I shared them and they were absolutely delicious! I'm not normally a gooseberry fan but these were really sweet and lovely. So much research on correct pruning and coddling is going on in the hope that next year it produces more and hopefully I can start taking cuttings to grow my gooseberry empire :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Make a gooseberry fool next year if you’ve never tried it, rather old fashioned but one of the nicest summer desserts you can make, and really easy too. :)

Most of the fruit bushes from Poundland that I planted didn’t grow, but I’ve left them in case they were growing roots and will perk up next year.
The shrubs did a lot better, and I did get two raspberries, if they don’t grow next year I’ll spend a few quid more and get some more established ones for the garden centre, hopefully that will give them a head start.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

The cold has worked it's magic and the Garlic has rooted. :) Very happy!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

LIKE ^^^^ :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

No work is possible on my garden. I *could* go out there and get soaked, but then there'd be no ground left, just mud, churned up by me walking on it :(

Some garlic was left in the ground from the previous year, because of various mishaps, and I've got second year tops - lots of very, very garlicky leaves, the ones the builders didn't tread into the ground, at any rate.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have laid my hands on a couple of Daubentons Kale plants,( Thanks Brambles),a true perennial,which is going to slot right into my expanding permaculture system.Got a call yesterday from a chap who takes a hundred Moneymaker tomato plants every Mayday,to carboot.So(w) :lol: it will soon be time to get started.

Only a gardener can get a buzz from that!

Robert Frost.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Really glad you got them J. One thing I would suggest is when you plant them out, put a good strong stake about 3 ft tall to tie it to in at the same time. They fall over really easily and have quite a shallow root system and once they've gone over there little chance of getting them upright again.
Oh and if you want to increase your stock simply slip off one of the side shoots with it's heel and pop it in compost and it will root very easily.
The more you pick, the more it produces. I only ate the large leaves once and they were tough and bitter. The little side shoots are the the bits, treat it like Purple Sprouting Broccoli and you will have greens forever. :) well, 4 or 5 years from a plant before replacing it anyway.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

Brambles wrote:Really glad you got them J. One thing I would suggest is when you plant them out, put a good strong stake about 3 ft tall to tie it to in at the same time. They fall over really easily and have quite a shallow root system and once they've gone over there little chance of getting them upright again.
Oh and if you want to increase your stock simply slip off one of the side shoots with it's heel and pop it in compost and it will root very easily.
The more you pick, the more it produces. I only ate the large leaves once and they were tough and bitter. The little side shoots are the the bits, treat it like Purple Sprouting Broccoli and you will have greens forever. :) well, 4 or 5 years from a plant before replacing it anyway.
Thanks for that advice Brambles. :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Getting exciting!! Not long now :mrgreen:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Brambles wrote:Getting exciting!! Not long now :mrgreen:
Dead right.I am looking forward to sowing a load of weird,Eastern Bloc tomato seed someone let me have! :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.