Apple juice

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
grenfell

Apple juice

Post by grenfell »

We recently purchased a new juicer , we had a very good crop of apples so two and two as they say...
I'd already juiced up a load and made into wine and cider plus some for immediate drinking but decided to try keeping some for later use. I read up about pasteurisation , heating the juice to at least 75* to kill the yeast but not to cook it. So several Kilner jars went into the oven on its 80* setting for a good half an hour or more. Came out and closed the lids ( seals on obviously) . However , a few days later I notice bubbles on the surface and releasing the catch on one jar it became obvious that it was fermenting. Ok so having another gallon of cider is no real problem but I would have liked it to work. So what did I do wrong? Not heating for long enough , it's about the only thing I can think of ? Anyone tried pasteurisation of fruit juices to give me a tip.
One other thing that did occur was that the heating is to kill yeast present on the apples , the juice itself is evidently thus ok for a decent time without any other process , so could the same result be obtained by using say a Camden tablet ?
Brambles

Re: Apple juice

Post by Brambles »

I'm no expert, and I'll have a look for 'proper' info on it for you, but oven pasteurisation is no longer recommended as at such a low temp, it's not able to maintain it.
Right while I've been faffing, I have looked in my Ball book of preserving and there are insructions there. The recipe is also on their website.

https://www.freshpreserving.com/homemad ... r1038.html

Preserving Method: Water Bath Canning
Makes about 6 (32 oz) quarts or 12 (16 oz) pints

Pure and simple. Apples and water. All the ingredients you will need to make delicious and wholesome homemade apple juice.

YOU WILL NEED

24 lbs apples, stemmed and chopped (about 72 apples)
8 cups water
6 Ball® (32 oz) quart or 12 (16 oz) pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands

DIRECTIONS

COMBINE apples and water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender.
TRANSFER apples and juice, working in batches, to a strainer lined with several layers of cheesecloth. Let drip, undisturbed, for at least 2 hours.
PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside.
HEAT apple juice to 190°F in a clean large saucepan over medium-high heat.
LADLE hot juice to hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
PROCESS filled jars in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

If you are juicing I imagine you could skip instructions 1&2

Water Bath canning instructions.

http://www.freshpreservinguk.co.uk/site ... cid_UK.pdf

Any large, lidded stock pot deep enough to hold the jars making sure they are completely covered in water. You can use some newspaper or an old teatowel in the base to stop the jars'bumping' and breaking.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Yes I'd come across a site that did describe something like that method and it had recommended the pasteurisation technique because it preserved the apple juice as close to fresh as possible rather than using a higher heat that effectively cooked it and altered the taste. I've still got a load more apples as well as access to others so I'll have to give it another go. One advantage that I see with the juicing is that it makes good use of windfalls and marked or damaged apples that otherwise wouldn't keep.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Spam Alert.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

featherstick wrote:Spam Alert.
She's posted a short intro.