Pressure canner sizing/filling

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Brambles

Re: Pressure canner sizing/filling

Post by Brambles »

I know some people recycle sauce and mayo jars for water bath canning but it's not recommended and personally I've never trusted ordinary glass jars as the vacuum created puts the jars under stress and can cause breakages. You really need a two piece lid as per Kilner as well. Having said that, I buy my sealing discs in bulk from USA as the Ball discs are much better quality than Kilner and are about half the price even factoring in postage from the States :shock:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Abagorth

Post by Abagorth »

Guess I'll bite the bullet and buy a few a month and start slowly.

Robert Dyas have a starter kit on offer at the moment http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/kilner-10-p ... tarter-set
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Abagorth wrote:Guess I'll bite the bullet and buy a few a month and start slowly.

Robert Dyas have a starter kit on offer at the moment http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/kilner-10-p ... tarter-set
It's worth keeping an eye on Sainsburys, Morrisons, and Dunelm as they often have deals on.

Sainsburys have 1/3 off kilner jars at the moment!!

and The Range have a case of 12 500ml jars for £21.99

It's worth checking out various places.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
peejay

Post by peejay »

Thanks for the comments, looks like 4 jars minimum it is then! That's fine, I'd just prefer to try things small scale initially rather than process 19 jars of chilli etc. only to find that I hate it or messed it up!

Still not decided whether to get one yet - if I grew my own produce it'd be a no-brainer but I don't (yet) so would be processing bulk-purchased food anyway.

Brambles: Do you have a source for your lids? I had a quick search last night having read that cheaper from US even with import but not found any yet.
Abagorth

Post by Abagorth »

I'll keep an eye on Sainsburys, unfortunately there is no Dunelm, B&M, Home Bargains, The Range, Poundland (or any £ store), Lidl or Aldi anywhere close to me or on any route I normally take (except for a Home Bargains if I am going to my parents via my ex-wife's which is a rarity).
peejay

Post by peejay »

I'm rather spoilt in that I have every one of those stores except Dunelm on my route home, even have a Hobbycraft near work which is another that does the Ball jars - my issue would be having enough time to visit them all LOL!
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

peejay wrote:Thanks for the comments, looks like 4 jars minimum it is then! That's fine, I'd just prefer to try things small scale initially rather than process 19 jars of chilli etc. only to find that I hate it or messed it up!

Still not decided whether to get one yet - if I grew my own produce it'd be a no-brainer but I don't (yet) so would be processing bulk-purchased food anyway.

Brambles: Do you have a source for your lids? I had a quick search last night having read that cheaper from US even with import but not found any yet.
I'll have a look for you, last time I made a purchase I got 36 dozen. :mrgreen:
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

peejay wrote:Brambles: Do you have a source for your lids? I had a quick search last night having read that cheaper from US even with import but not found any yet.
I got mine from this seller on fleabay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ball-CANNING- ... 2749.l2649
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Fleabay for me too.

I'm not sure if this is the same seller, but price is still lower than Kilner.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lot-of-432-Ba ... Ciid%253A1
peejay

Post by peejay »

Thanks both - saved for decision time...