Savoury Porridge

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
ukpreppergrrl

Re: Savoury Porridge

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Deeps wrote:At the risk of black catting, I only buy it when its reduced to a quid a can. Aye, its OK but there's haggis and haggis (same as anything), I'd feel cheated if it was served up on Burns night. Not that I'm that traditional about it all, and being married to a veggie when we do have a haggis (been a good few years now thinking about it) its a 'hippy' one. If I open a tin for a 'full Jock' breakfast if we've got guests round and have some slices of haggis the rest will be used to stuff chicken breasts for the next days dinner. Its a good chicken stuffer, especially when all wrapped in bacon or parma ham.
Oooh...haggis as a chicken stuffer. Hadn't thought of that! Yum yum.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:
Deeps wrote:At the risk of black catting, I only buy it when its reduced to a quid a can. Aye, its OK but there's haggis and haggis (same as anything), I'd feel cheated if it was served up on Burns night. Not that I'm that traditional about it all, and being married to a veggie when we do have a haggis (been a good few years now thinking about it) its a 'hippy' one. If I open a tin for a 'full Jock' breakfast if we've got guests round and have some slices of haggis the rest will be used to stuff chicken breasts for the next days dinner. Its a good chicken stuffer, especially when all wrapped in bacon or parma ham.
Oooh...haggis as a chicken stuffer. Hadn't thought of that! Yum yum.
Balmoral chicken I think its called......

https://grantsofspeyside.co.uk/balmoral ... th-haggis/

Here you go, bon appetit. :D
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Deeps wrote: Balmoral chicken I think its called......

https://grantsofspeyside.co.uk/balmoral ... th-haggis/

Here you go, bon appetit. :D
Yum bloody yum!!! Oddly enough I had already planned a slightly circular route to today's activities so as to take in my nearest Asda.... 8-) :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I'm late to this party ... my porridge is going back to its savoury roots - I sprinkle it with linseed, pumpkin seeds and an Indian herb I was recently recommended called Ashwaganda.

And I love the sound of letting it set and frying up :mrgreen:
Abagorth

Post by Abagorth »

Jamesey1981 wrote:There's also the porridge drawer, make unsweetened porridge, tip it into a container (literally used to be a drawer in the kitchen dresser) to cool and set and then slice it and fry it in bacon fat.
Tried this with my bacon and eggs this morning (made some extra porridge yesterday and let it set) it was lovely, thanks for the tip Jamesey.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Abagorth wrote:
Jamesey1981 wrote:There's also the porridge drawer, make unsweetened porridge, tip it into a container (literally used to be a drawer in the kitchen dresser) to cool and set and then slice it and fry it in bacon fat.
Tried this with my bacon and eggs this morning (made some extra porridge yesterday and let it set) it was lovely, thanks for the tip Jamesey.
It's good isn't it, it's also nice fried in butter and drizzled with honey. :)
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.