Winter planting

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Jay

Winter planting

Post by Jay »

Today we built a couple of new cloches and have started our winter planting, spinach in one and lettuce in the other they should be ready for late Spring, after the heavy rain forecast for tomorrow the early onions and potatoes will be next. Due to the extreme winter temperatures here (@ -20 to -25 celsius) our early crop potatoes are planted out as follows:

We dig a trench put in a layer of sawdust/hay/chicken manure, on top of this we place a layer of leaves, then in go the spuds topped with another layer of leaves then sawdust and finally soil on top.

Anyone else started planting out their winter crops?
The more restrictions and prohibitions there are, the poorer the people will be.
jansman

Re: Winter planting

Post by jansman »

Yes.Japanese onions,Spring cabbage,lettuce,garlic and broad beans.I also sow radish in the polytunnel.It gives plenty of spicy greens.

May I ask,at those extreme minus temperatures where on Earth do you live?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Jay

Post by Jay »

jansman wrote:May I ask,at those extreme minus temperatures where on Earth do you live?
You may :D Currently residing in Central Bulgaria.
The more restrictions and prohibitions there are, the poorer the people will be.
jansman

Post by jansman »

That is challenging gardening!I used to have a Polish neighbour who planted like you do.He csaid that back home there were two seasons,Winter and June!.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Like Jansman I'm about to put in the Japanese onions and French garlic. Thank you for the timely reminder - I've been rather busy and had failed to notice it's October already! Am going to try growing odd bits in the enclosed carport like an unheated greenhouse this winter, see what occurs. :D Alas my summer planted potatoes have gone over with blight this week :cry:
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb