savvy shopping....

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Yorkshire Andy

savvy shopping....

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well not a prep as such but saving money is always handy

We have just received a big delivery from Sainsbury's.. well 2 seperate orders as me and the Mrs were both "new customers

Well they had a £18 off for new customers on food along special offers and £1.50 delivery

£79.50. Down to 45.10

£62.75 down to 44.75

£52 saved! By using 2 new accounts (2 customers) both turned up at the same time

Just got to watch the substitutions on stuff if it's on special offer and the substitute item isn't.
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Re: savvy shopping....

Post by Deeps »

18 quid off is a good 'tease' to get you in. We get an Asda delivery most weeks, mostly to avoid having to schlep round the shop although we have to do it 'old skool' at Aldi's. We've considered registering me to take advantage of any 'new joiner' offers but its not been worth it yet.
peejay

Post by peejay »

Just discussed this with OH who does all our shopping online from Tesco & apparently subs are always priced at the same as your original order, even if better/bigger than what you ordered.

Having said that, getting a 4-pack of Egg Custards, instead of a 2-pack, that must be eaten by next day or so when I'm the only one in the house that eats them is always a bit of a mixed blessing...
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

You could have gotten 6 bottles of Prossecco for £1.50 each using that offer and stacking it with the 25% off six bottles deal they're currently running. I tried it but sadly, even though I haven't used Sainsbury's online for yonks, my old account was still active, and my plan was foiled. :evil:
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

If you choose 'no substitutions' then you won't get anything if your chosen product is not in stock.

if you do decide to go for a substation, then it's pretty random as to what you'll get - sometimes you'll get a brand up, sometimes a brand down and sometimes nothing related to your original product at all. Depends on the picker, I think. But you don't have to accept the substitutions.
Abagorth

Post by Abagorth »

Yes, sometimes the subs are useless, recently ordered some staples with my Tesco delivery and they sent me string!!
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Time to get the cat his own credit card...
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
peejay

Post by peejay »

Abagorth wrote:Yes, sometimes the subs are useless, recently ordered some staples with my Tesco delivery and they sent me string!!
LOL! Well, the thought was there!
Abagorth

Post by Abagorth »

peejay wrote:
Abagorth wrote:Yes, sometimes the subs are useless, recently ordered some staples with my Tesco delivery and they sent me string!!
LOL! Well, the thought was there!
But sadly not much else :roll:

On today's delivery instead of 6 x 1ltr cartons of Tomato Juice I got 6 x 1ltr bottles of Orange Squash!!! not even OJ but Squash! I really can't figure it out, the driver found it hysterical, but fair play to him he drove to the Tesco Metro round the corner and exchanged them for me and brought the Tom Juice back, that is good customer service (lucky I was his last drop)
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

No subs
I have "no substitutions" with every supermarket I ever get a delivery from - they're weird, they're expensive, its just not worth the hassle.

Dents
I usually check that what I've ordered is what I've received, too - and if I have severe dents in any tins, I ring up and put a complaint in. I've always been refunded to my credit card no problem - its not a huge amount of money, but why should I pay for something thats potentially dangerous to eat?

Refunds
The other complaint I made recently was when I bought some fresh onions with a fresh veg voucher (a rare animal!) and when I cut into them after 4 days, they had mould all through the middle. The guy on the customer service put a lot of obstacles in my way and all but accused me of lying. Eventually, it was plain he'd spoken to a supervisor, who was horrified - I wanted a refund for a kilo of onions, but they gave me a £15 voucher.

Size of delivery
As I've been self employed & working from home for years, I've always gone for a cheap delivery time - midday midweek, its been £1 for a long time, and when I think of the time and energy that saves, its been worth it for me. That charge has recently increased to £2, so its still worth doing, but I want to pay a bit more attention to getting bulk delivery.