savvy shopping....

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Abagorth

Re: savvy shopping....

Post by Abagorth »

I have a monthly delivery saver plan for Tesco's but this is shared with my parents, sister and ex-wife, one account with 4 different addresses in the address book we can all get deliveries (even all on the same day) for £1.75 a month each, we all share a Netflix and Amazon Prime subscription as well, really cuts down on the cost. Although they must be wondering about a few of the things I have bought recently :tinfoil
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

We've got a 'midweek' pass or some such, 24 quid a year I think it is and then its effectively free deliveries on orders of 40 quid which is easy enough most weeks without even trying.
katilea

Post by katilea »

I use Ocado and had the best customer service with them, rarely get substitutions and never had more than 2 per order.

Used Asda in past and they were a nightmare, they never got how to use Typetalk to ring me (I'm deaf) Ocado got it first time and offered to text me. With Asda I've had a shocking 11 items missing and as mainly I'm housebound and it was winter at the time I had no way to replace all the missing items so I wasn't happy. Another time the guy turned up half an hour outside the 2hr slot and admitted he'd only just looked at the time on the receipt when he got to my door! Issues I've never had with Ocado and I preferred the 1 hr slot which few were offering at the time when I jonined.

I just go down their half price offers, there's only me to feed I found they had better choice with veggie meals I got what I wanted including household stuff/toiletries and 1 or 2 items for stores. I shop every 2-3 weeks as you get free delivery all day wed if you spend over £70 (so no need to pay for a monthly pass) and it works out at around £25 a week for me. I find the delivery people very friendly and helpful.

I've used Iceland home delivery for a major freezer restock (after they'd both been defrosted) and yes it was cheaper but the delivery guy wasn't as friendly as Ocado's. They also (at the time) didn't have a huge selection of veggie and vegan meals though I've noticed they have a bit more choice now. They also don't have gluten free bread and products. I have allergies to nuts too and some veggie stuff has nuts in or cross contamination, so my food bill isn't as high as you'd might expect from Ocado considering it has to be veggie or vegan friendly, nut free and gluten free.

I'm having an hard time finding camping meals for ration heaters that are veggie and gluten and nut free though for my emergency stores (when tinned food and camping fuel ran out) :shock:
jansman

Post by jansman »

jansman wrote:Going back to the OP,I got sent Sainsbury's the 18 quid deal last week Yorkshire Andy! I use a Nectar card for e bay,but I have to pick gear up for work from there- so I use my card there and BOOM! they send me a deal.Best is,Mrs J. Got sent £50 odd worth of vouchers for the next so weeks too!

We normally shop online with Asda.After a near two month gap,hopefully they will send us some enticement vouchers!! :lol: Gotta get it where ya can!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Ignore the naused up post above,I was trying to edit and talk on the phone at the same time! :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
korolev

Post by korolev »

We had a yearly delivery pass from Sainsburys but have not renewed it because stuff was turning up with a short date (sometimes the same day) and they didn't have some gluten free stuff.
We gave Asda a try this week and they seem ok (apart from not doing bird-eye chilis).

Couple of years back Tescos delivered a big bag of cakes by mistake, we rang them to say they weren't ours but they just said "might as well keep them"
jansman

Post by jansman »

korolev wrote:We had a yearly delivery pass from Sainsburys but have not renewed it because stuff was turning up with a short date (sometimes the same day) and they didn't have some gluten free stuff.
We gave Asda a try this week and they seem ok (apart from not doing bird-eye chilis).

Couple of years back Tescos delivered a big bag of cakes by mistake, we rang them to say they weren't ours but they just said "might as well keep them"
korolev,you said you were interested in growing food.Birds eye chillies! From the end of this month they can be started on a windowsill ( you can bu windowsill propogaters from wilko),and in June planted in pots against a sunny wall or fence.They store easily in the freezer
http://www.premierseedsdirect.com/produ ... eye-demon/ good firm.

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Can't seem to copy the link for a propagator, but they are ten quid at Wilko

Robert Frost.

Me.
korolev

Post by korolev »

jansman wrote:
korolev wrote:We had a yearly delivery pass from Sainsburys but have not renewed it because stuff was turning up with a short date (sometimes the same day) and they didn't have some gluten free stuff.

korolev,you said you were interested in growing food.Birds eye chillies! From the end of this month they can be started on a windowsill ( you can bu windowsill propogaters from wilko),and in June planted in pots against a sunny wall or fence.They store easily in the freezer
http://www.premierseedsdirect.com/produ ... eye-demon/ good firm.

Marvellous, thank you
jansman

Post by jansman »

You are welcome.Any convert to growing even a small amount of food is taking a stand against the 'Machine' and sticking it to 'da man'!

Robert Frost.

Me.